• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Osprey flying round and round with fish? (1 Viewer)

tenex

reality-based
Yesterday we saw an osprey fly overhead with a small fish in its talons, and expected to see it perch and dine. Instead it continued to fly around in circles within our view for more than five minutes, possibly as long as ten. What is this behavior, and could it be courtship-related? There was another osprey in the area.

Flying around with a fish for a while indeed seems to be part of the courtship display, although it seems to involve calling and "bouncing" as well.
Maybe he wasn't fully in spring mode yet?

Thanks! In this case we heard no calling, but it was getting late and we left before the flight changed or ended. We saw an osprey perched high in a tree near the car while we walked back, so if that was the potential mate she wasn't directly beneath the display, but could no doubt see it.

Yesterday we saw an osprey fly overhead with a small fish in its talons, and expected to see it perch and dine. Instead it continued to fly around in circles within our view for more than five minutes, possibly as long as ten. What is this behavior, and could it be courtship-related? There was another osprey in the area.
Given the time of year this could be breeding related. However, I’ve had observations of this behavior which indicate that it may also have a function besides just courtship. These were observations that occurred well outside of the breeding season and when only the one osprey (i.e., the one carrying the fish, which it had just captured) was present in the area. In these cases (which involved medium to large sized fish) the osprey flew around for several minutes before landing and then beginning to eat the fish. I can only speculate as to why these birds did this. One possibility that came to mind is that it appeared that perhaps they may have done so in order to suffocate the fish in the air, thus incapacitating or killing it (perhaps also aided by any injuries inflicted by the talons), this then ensuring that the fish won’t be flapping about and will be easier to handle while eating it. Again, this is just one possibility that comes to mind.

A good thought to keep in mind. This was a fairly small fish though, in fact I was wondering how impressive it might seem. And as a further note, my wife says the male was giving short calls while flying around, though oddly I have no recollection of that and seem to have focused on the visual impression. In general she hears more or sooner than I do. No "bouncing" though, just circles (including a rising spiral).

I smile to think that this behavior is associated with courtship and I imagine that it truly is, but let me share what many anglers have thought whilst fishing up on Rainbow Lake...
Just 3 miles west of town up on the mountain is an 8 acre lake that is stocked with rainbow trout every March. On opening day of the trout season (an annnual event, the last week of March) you'll find the lake lined around with enthusiastic anglers, all vying to land a trophy trout. Without fail, elegant osprey will dive down unto the center of the lake well beyond the length of any anglers fishline and pull up a trout carrying it face forward in their talons round and around the perimeter of the lake several times as if to purposefully taunt the envious anglers. At least that is what most of us fist-shaking yet smiling anglers like to think. Rather amusing, eh? Should I tell my fishing buddies otherwise? We've thought it was interspecies competition.

Hi Woody Thrush and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators. What fun.... thanks so much for describing that Osprey's antics.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back