• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pair of birds - Pattipola - close to Horton plains - Sri Lanka (1 Viewer)

October 2012 Pattipola.png
This was taken back in October 2012 in the early morning at Pattipola railway station on our way to Horton plains (Sri Lanka). This pair was resting on a raft. (probably asleep as it was around 3:30 AM as I recall.) Please help me to identify them. Thank you.

They look like hirundines (swallows, martins) - and, despite the black-looking underparts, I suspect they're the expected species, hill swallow - with most of the black belly being due to exposed bases of ruffled feathers during roosting. The pale-fringed undertail-coverts and vent, and pale in the tail, also fit hill swallow.

They look like hirundines (swallows, martins) - and, despite the black-looking underparts, I suspect they're the expected species, hill swallow - with most of the black belly being due to exposed bases of ruffled feathers during roosting. The pale-fringed undertail-coverts and vent, and pale in the tail, also fit hill swallow.
Thank you Butty for the quick and well explained identification. You are probably right. Fact that this was taken when there was no day light around, could also be a reason for dark coloring. Thanks again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back