• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pantanal Bird Club and Emas NP etc (1 Viewer)

lewis20126

Hi all

I''m hoping to spend a week or so in the Emas NP area over Christmas 2007 and have been trying to contact the PBC using email to make some arrangements (esp wrt Cone-billed Tanager) and have had no response. Any suggestions?

Has anyone been to Emas over this period? Any detailed info on the park specialities (e.g. planalto f-g, rarer seed-eaters, ww nightjar etc) is very welcome. How easy is Maned Wolf?

Thanks
Alan

Dear Alan,

The Pantanal Bird Club is run by Mr. Braulio Carlos. He is also a tour guide and therefore sometimes it may take some time to answer e-mails because he spends a lot of time in places that have no internet conection. Be patient and I am sure your answer will come, he is a very professional man and very commited to his work.
I also guide and organize tours in the area, so if you wish you may contact me in private and we will discuss details.
As for the birds you may expect to see I am sending a brief list of the highlights:

1 Dwarf Tinamou ( very hard to see, but if there is a chance, the place is emas)
2 Spotted Nothura ( easily seen on the surroundings of the park )
3 Lesser Nothura ( Same as No.1 )
4 Red-legged Seriemas ( Very easy to see in the area )
5 Blue-and-Yellow Macaws ( Ordinary bird, but the flocks feeding on the soya bean plantations that surround the park offer some great moments)
6 Yellow-faced Parrot ( a magnificent bird found in great numbers here)
7 Short-eared Owl
8 Scisor-tailed Nightjar
9 White-winged Nightjar ( One of the greatest prizes from the park, not that hard to find)
10 Campo Miner ( Look for it where recent fires have occured )
11 Planalto Foliage-gleaner
12 Collared Crescentchest ( a beautifull tapaculo. I will post a picture of it today in the gallery )
13Streamer-tailed Tyrant ( What a bird!! you just cant get over it)
14 Cock-tailed Tyrant ( one of the stars of the park, you will find it on the tall grass called "capim flecha")
15 Sharp-tailed Tyrant
16 Bearded Tachuri ( This bird is rare but I managed to spot one on my last tour)
17 Grass Wren
18 Yellow-rumped Marshbird ( Beautifull, more often see ouside of the park)
19 White-striped Warbler
20 Cone-billed Tanager ( The new star of the park. the best place to see it may be just behind the park administration building)
21 Dark-throated Seedeater ( sometimes found in flocks of more common seedeaters)
22 Marsh Seedeater ( same as 21, these birds are easier to find in october-november)
23 Lesser Grass-finch
24 Black-masked Finch

As for you Manned Wolf, there is a good chance at Dawn and Dusk on the road to and from the park to town.

Best Wishes,

Marcelo Pena Padua

Dear Alan,

The Pantanal Bird Club is run by Mr. Braulio Carlos. He is also a tour guide and therefore sometimes it may take some time to answer e-mails because he spends a lot of time in places that have no internet conection. Be patient and I am sure your answer will come, he is a very professional man and very commited to his work.
I also guide and organize tours in the area, so if you wish you may contact me in private and we will discuss details.
As for the birds you may expect to see I am sending a brief list of the highlights:

1 Dwarf Tinamou ( very hard to see, but if there is a chance, the place is emas)
2 Spotted Nothura ( easily seen on the surroundings of the park )
3 Lesser Nothura ( Same as No.1 )
4 Red-legged Seriemas ( Very easy to see in the area )
5 Blue-and-Yellow Macaws ( Ordinary bird, but the flocks feeding on the soya bean plantations that surround the park offer some great moments)
6 Yellow-faced Parrot ( a magnificent bird found in great numbers here)
7 Short-eared Owl
8 Scisor-tailed Nightjar
9 White-winged Nightjar ( One of the greatest prizes from the park, not that hard to find)
10 Campo Miner ( Look for it where recent fires have occured )
11 Planalto Foliage-gleaner
12 Collared Crescentchest ( a beautifull tapaculo. I will post a picture of it today in the gallery )
13Streamer-tailed Tyrant ( What a bird!! you just cant get over it)
14 Cock-tailed Tyrant ( one of the stars of the park, you will find it on the tall grass called "capim flecha")
15 Sharp-tailed Tyrant
16 Bearded Tachuri ( This bird is rare but I managed to spot one on my last tour)
17 Grass Wren
18 Yellow-rumped Marshbird ( Beautifull, more often see ouside of the park)
19 White-striped Warbler
20 Cone-billed Tanager ( The new star of the park. the best place to see it may be just behind the park administration building)
21 Dark-throated Seedeater ( sometimes found in flocks of more common seedeaters)
22 Marsh Seedeater ( same as 21, these birds are easier to find in october-november)
23 Lesser Grass-finch
24 Black-masked Finch

As for you Manned Wolf, there is a good chance at Dawn and Dusk on the road to and from the park to town.

Best Wishes,

Marcelo Pena Padua

Marcelo - thanks for the PM; I have PM'd you back - I'll keep trying Braulio.

Hi

Still no reply from Braulio - anyone got a phone number? Two of us are in Cuiaba 23rd-30th December and hope to spend some time at Emas and maybe elsewhere; main targets cone-billed tanager and ww nightjar.

Cheers, Alan

Emas and PBC

Hi Alan,

just got back last weekend from a great trip to (a.o.) Emas with the PBC. Not getting a reply from the PBC is unusual, we usually got a reply within days. You are contacting them through their websites mailadres or another one?

Emas is great. In just 2 days we easily saw the cone-billed tanager at two sites in the park (at least 3 birds), giant snipe walking under our noses, up to 4 ww-nightjars on a nightdrive, planalto FG, long-winged harrier, yellow-faced parro, spotted nothura, ocellated crake, planalto hermit, etc etc.
Mammals were also quite good with giant anteater, maned wolf (easier outside the park?), puma, hoary fox, pampas deer, etc) and scenery quite good.

Problem is acces. Most of the park is closed to visitors unless you have good contacts with the park manager and spotlighting limited to a small part of the park. However, you can see the nightjar in that area.

Good luck,

Pierre

Pierre

I have sent you a PM - more details would be great, thanks. We have got a local guide with access and the Tanager sites (but not PBC).

Alan

Many thanks to Marcelo Padua (see above) who acted as our local guide during our visit to Emas. Marcelo pulled out all the stops for us even working through the Christmas period leaving his wife in Cuiaba!

Marcelo knows the park very well and we were able to see Cone-billed Tanager within the first hour in the park! Over the next five days we got superb views of most of the specialities including White-winged Nightjar, Ocellated Crake, Lesser Nothura (a real tough one), Planalto Foliage-gleaner - we got close to calling Giant Snipe but didn't try to hard having seen them the previous week elsewhere.

I would strongly advise on the use of a guide for Emas. Access at night and during holidays (Christmas day!) is hard to arrange and just a few guides (inc Marcelo) seem to have the relationship with the park authorities needed to allow this "out of hours" access.

Marcelo guides over most of Mato Grosso inc the Pantanal (his main area), Cristalino and Roosevelt Lodge and I would thoroughy recommend his services. PM me for further info / references.

Good birding, alan

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back