• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Parus major sidsiukara Momiyama , 1927 (1 Viewer)

Taphrospilus

Parus major sidsiukara Momiyama , 1927 According here
  • Momiyama, T.T., 1927a. Some new and unrecorded birds from Japanese territories. I.— Annot. Orn. Orient., 1: 1-79. (In Japanese.) (sidsiukara p. 25; makii p. 26; P.m. takahashii p. 28 – nomen nudum; tyoosenensis p. 31, Periparus a. takahashii p. 31, enaga p. 33, tarihoae p. 34)
  • Momiyama, T.T., 1927b . Descriptions of twenty fi ve new birds and three additions from Japanese territories.— Annot. Orn. Orient., 1 (1): 81-102. (In English.) (sidsiukara p. 85; makii p. 85; tyoosenensis p. 87, P. a. takahashii p. 87, enaga p. 88, tarihoae p. 89)
Partially here
Parus major sidsiukara MOMIYAMA , nom . nov . The type - locality of P.m. minor = P . minor TEMMINCK & SCHLEGEL has been considered to be Hondo by many ornithologists , but the original specimen examined by Messrs . TEMMINCK and SCHLEGEL who named the species , is considered as one of the various kinds of animal specimens of Kiusiu or of other districts in Japan , collected by Dr. Ph . T. VON SIEBOLD during his stay in Nagasaki , so that it can be easily conjectured that it belongs to North or West Kiusiu , for it is one of the most common races in Kiusiu .

The Key to Scientific Names
“the Japanese name ‘Sidsiukara’ may be used for the form of Hondo” (Momiyama 1927) (syn. Parus minor).

As I feel the explanaition is somehow to speculative, I am wondering if OD may give more hint on the origin of sidsiukara?

Aegithalos caudatus tarihoae
Momiyama, 1927
During his stay there , his grand - daughter , Miss TARIHO TAKAHASHI , was dead and gone at Seoul in Korea . In memory of her this subspecies is named after her . * ' Tori ' v , no . 23 , 1927 , p . 310 . 12.

Additional The Key to Scientific Names entry...
Tariho Takahashi (fl. 1927) daughter of Japanese collector Eizo Takahashi (syn. Aegithalos caudatus magnus).
...may solved in terms of life dates?

Or The Eponym Dictionary of Birds claim:
Long-tailed Tit ssp. Aegithalos caudatus tarihoae Momiyama, 1927 NCR [Variously treated as a JS of either Aegithalos caudatus magnus or A. caudatus trivirgatus]
Tariho Takahashi (DNF) was the daughter of Eizo Takahashi, who collected the holotype (1926).

Daughter or grand-daughter?

Last edited:
Parus major sidsiukara Momiyama , 1927 According here

Playing a bit with Google Books, I get:
Parus major sidsiukara MOMIYAMA, nom. nov. The type-locality of P. m. minor = P. minor TEMMINCK & SCHLEGEL has been considered to be Hondo by many ornithologists, but the original specimen examined by Messrs. TEMMINCK and SCHLEGEL who named the species, is considered as one of the various kinds of animal specimens of Kiusiu or of other districts in Japan, collected by Dr. Ph . T. VON SIEBOLD during his stay in Nagasaki, so that it can be easily conjectured that it belongs to North or West Kiusiu , for it is one of the most common races in Kiusiu. Accordingly I apply P. m . minor by TEMMINCK & SCHLEGEL to the form of northern Kiusiu, Iki and Tusima Islands, and change its scientific name as above-cited, though the Japanese name "Sidsiukara" * may be used for the form of Hondo, as it has been.
(I suspect there may be a footnote explaining the name but I did not succeed making it appear.)

Parus minor in Japanese is 四十雀 (kanji) alt. シジュウカラ (katakana), which is nowadays romanized as shijuukara.

(Note that a "nom. nov." is a name introduced expressly to replace an already available name. Here the name is introduced for a form that had became nameless due to a reinterpretation of the available name that used to be used for it, which is a completely different case. A name introduced for this type of purpose is not a nomen novum, and must be accompanied by a description or an indication. I'm not sure the name is actually available.)

Last edited:
Additional The Key to Scientific Names entry...
Tariho Takahashi (fl. 1927) daughter of Japanese collector Eizo Takahashi (syn. Aegithalos caudatus magnus).
...may solved in terms of life dates?

There are gaps in what I can obtain from Google Books here, but what I see includes this -
Ægithalos caudata tarihoæ MOMIYAMA, subsp. nov. Description: Extremely resembles to Æ. c. trivirgata, but distinguished from it by being larger, and faint vinaceous a little deeper. Compared with Æ. c. shimokoriyamæ smaller indistinctly mottled with dark colour on breast.
[...]
Type in Athenæi Ornithologici Momiyamici . [ ?] ad. Mt. Kanra, ["U - mén" = ?], Quelpart Island. 18th April, 1926. Collected by Mr. E. TAKAHASHI. Registered No. 26'1571.
Distribution: Quelpart Island.
Mr. E. TAKAHASHI has been to Quelpart Island for the purpose of collecting the birds in favour of me. During his stay there, his grand-daughter, Miss TARIHO TAKAHASHI, was dead and gone at Seoul in Korea. In memory of her this subspecies is named after her.

Thus:
  • She was apparently not Takahashi's daughter, but his grand-daughter -- if so, presumably his son's daughter given the identical family name.
  • She died during his stay on Quelpart (now Jeju) Is -- unless this stay was very extended, this must have been in 1926. (I.e., not "fl. 1927".)
  • Eizo Takahashi was born in 1872: any grand-daughter of him was presumably still a child in 1926. (If this is correct, she will probably be hard to trace beyond the above...)
Her name in Japanese: 高橋垂穂.

Last edited:
Momiayma, 1927 - No.11.jpg

Momiyama, 1927 - No.11.jpg

Why James, and the Key, (still) consider tarihoae for Eizo Takahashi's "daughter" is unknown to me.

I sent him Momiyama's Paper long ago.

And the OD (at least the English part of it) is crystal clear (as of above); "his grand-daughter".

Judging by this alone, I'd go for: (Miss) Tariho Takahashi (–1926), ... and onwards.

Björn

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back