• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Phnom Penh, Cambodia - id help please (1 Viewer)

beechwood

Hello, these birds were seen on 27th January. I am not entirely sure of identification so would be grateful if someone could confirm (or correct) the following:

1. Plain Prinia
2. Plaintive Cuckoo
3. Lesser Coucal (or perhaps Greater) - no sighting of back!
4. Brown Prinia?
5. non-breeding Chinese Pond Heron

Thanks for any help.

Attachments

• DSCN2259a.JPG
    DSCN2259a.JPG
    168.8 KB · Views: 35
  • DSCN2324a.JPG
    DSCN2324a.JPG
    537.7 KB · Views: 39
  • DSCN2268a.JPG
    DSCN2268a.JPG
    289 KB · Views: 45
  • DSCN2302a.JPG
    DSCN2302a.JPG
    389.9 KB · Views: 45
  • DSCN2288a.JPG
    DSCN2288a.JPG
    450.6 KB · Views: 42
Quick help : 1 is a flycatcher, not a prinia ; 3 is a koel, not a coucal, and 4 is a taylorbird, not a prinia. I've never been to Cambodia, so I let others check the species... ;):D

Interesting. 1 would presumably be an Asian Brown Flycatcher. The barring on the tail of 3 threw me. 4 would probably be a Common Tailorbird.

thanks for the quick help.

Interesting. 1 would presumably be an Asian Brown Flycatcher. The barring on the tail of 3 threw me. 4 would probably be a Common Tailorbird.

thanks for the quick help.
I prefer not to give opinion on species I don't know. For exemple, Im not sure how look the Cambodian Tailorbird (Orthotomus chaktomuk). The colours on your photo are not very clear.

It seems that it is not possible to distinguish the pond heron in non-breeding plumage as there is range overlap and limited distinguishing features - unless someone knows a way! Thanks for all of the comments.
Phil

This is the only other picture I have and this has been lightened. I am not sure that it is helping with the identification. I think it will have to be noted as "perhaps Cambodian". Thanks for the help.

Phil

Attachments

• DSCN2305a.JPG
    DSCN2305a.JPG
    170.4 KB · Views: 6
Did you see the bird rather than just photographing it? If you did the grey would be very apparent assuming it's Cambodian Tailorbird, your images certainly look plausible.

So later in the day on January 27th this Tailorbird was seen in Iroha Gardens in Phnom Penh. It is a much better picture than the earlier sighting and, unless I am mistaken, this has a grey back and is good for a Cambodian Tailorbird. If this is the case, is it worth adding the photo to the gallery as there doesn't seem to be a picture of this species?

Phil

Attachments

• DSCN2311a.JPG
    DSCN2311a.JPG
    664.3 KB · Views: 16
It might be worth doing a small lighting adjustment before posting as in my version below.

Digital photos are created by (incredibly wonderful) software from captured light data and there is no 'true, original' photo, so this adjustment isn't 'cheating'. With traditional film photos, the capture and creation are the same thing, although of course some adjustments can be made in printing.

BF Cambodian Tailorbird.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back