• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Photography using the Lumix FZ80 (2 Viewers)

Iceu

United States
Hello there, I recently bought the Panasonic Lumix FZ80 back in December and it is a fairly good camera (my first real one)
However, I have noticed that it does struggle in everything except bright sunlight. I‘m trying to figure out how to get the best quality out of this and I’m also looking for any advice. Thanks!
I have attached some sample photos of mine below.

Attachments

• junco 28.jpeg
    junco 28.jpeg
    7 MB · Views: 33
  • junco 35.jpeg
    junco 35.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 32
  • junco 41.jpeg
    junco 41.jpeg
    7.5 MB · Views: 32
  • P1060206.jpeg
    P1060206.jpeg
    9.6 MB · Views: 30
  • P1060262.jpeg
    P1060262.jpeg
    10 MB · Views: 25
  • P1080108.jpeg
    P1080108.jpeg
    4 MB · Views: 27
  • P1070881.jpeg
    P1070881.jpeg
    5.9 MB · Views: 30
I have a FZ150 (older model with half the zoom), but also a 1/2.3" sensor. I'm afraid we give up low light performance due to the small sensor, despite yours being several generations ahead of mine. If you have access to an image processing software with noise removal, you can clean up the image somewhat. I usually do noise removal, followed by some unsharp mask to bring back some sharpness without the noise. I use GIMP, which is free.

If you shoot in any mode other than auto, you should be able to limit the ISO so the image is not too grainy. On my camera, anything above 400 starts to get ugly, but I would take some test images and note what is an acceptable level of graininess. If there is not enough light at your ISO limit, the camera will let you know by beeping and showing red numbers.

The other thing is to shoot RAW, which is supposed to yield a higher quality image shooting straight jpeg. I have not tried this yet. Shooting RAW requires you to convert the image using additional software before you can see it. You control the conversion process, which is normally done automatically by your camera. Serious photographers find the auto-conversion algorithm lacking.

That's all I have for you, I hope others will chime in as well.

I have a FZ150 (older model with half the zoom), but also a 1/2.3" sensor. I'm afraid we give up low light performance due to the small sensor, despite yours being several generations ahead of mine. If you have access to an image processing software with noise removal, you can clean up the image somewhat. I usually do noise removal, followed by some unsharp mask to bring back some sharpness without the noise. I use GIMP, which is free.

If you shoot in any mode other than auto, you should be able to limit the ISO so the image is not too grainy. On my camera, anything above 400 starts to get ugly, but I would take some test images and note what is an acceptable level of graininess. If there is not enough light at your ISO limit, the camera will let you know by beeping and showing red numbers.

The other thing is to shoot RAW, which is supposed to yield a higher quality image shooting straight jpeg. I have not tried this yet. Shooting RAW requires you to convert the image using additional software before you can see it. You control the conversion process, which is normally done automatically by your camera. Serious photographers find the auto-conversion algorithm lacking.

That's all I have for you, I hope others will chime in as well.
Thanks! I usually don’t shoot raw though because I edit my photos with Adobe Lightroom on an iPad and I don’t really want to pay for premium.

Are you shooting in auto, or have you started messing around with the other modes? Depending on what you are trying to shoot, prioritizing aperture or shutter speed is the way to go. For example, blurry or sharp background is controlled by aperture, while freezing flapping wings is controlled by shutter speed. In auto, it's a crap shoot.

I edit my photos in GIMP ony Chromebook running Linux. It's free.

I shoot in all the modes. I do tend to shoot in auto a bit more though especially when I am in a rush. However, I have gotten very good shots in aperture, shutter, and manual modes.

Your photos look nice and sharp.
I also have the FZ80/82. Unfortunately, due to the small sensor size (required for the large 60x optical zoom), it struggles with noise in anything but good lighting conditions. However, during daylight hours and in sunshine, you should be ok.
Also, for anything other than short zoom ranges, the video footage is unusable unless you use a tripod, due to poor image stabilisation.
So, it's quite a quirky camera but having said that, it is possible to get good results from it if you play to its strengths.
Here's a video of a kingfisher I took with it recently. It picked up micro jitters from people moving around the hide, but nevertheless, allowed me to zoom right in and get some useable footage:

Here's video of Jupiter and its moons and Saturn and it rings, taken with the FZ80/82:

Not bad for a £240 camera!

Hello there, I recently bought the Panasonic Lumix FZ80 back in December and it is a fairly good camera (my first real one)
However, I have noticed that it does struggle in everything except bright sunlight. I‘m trying to figure out how to get the best quality out of this and I’m also looking for any advice. Thanks!
I have attached some sample photos of mine below.

I have a bridge camera/superzoom, a different one though.

With the small sensor these cameras aren't so good in average light but you can overcome that to an extent by making sure your background is bright and not aiming into the sky.

You could write all day long on what will make your pictures better, but I'd say the most important ones are as follows (in no particular order):

1) Effort. I know I'm stating the obvious here but I'll crack on anyway: the more time you spend trying to photograph birds the more things will land for you.

2) Being able to get reasonably close.

3) Learning to keep the camera steady.

4) Working out where birds feed/spend their time.

5) Judgement. When is the right time to move to get a bit closer and when is the right time to stay put.

6) Taking pictures lying down or sat down. You'll be amazed how close you can get to birds by sneaking up when lying down, even when you are out in the open and have no cover.

7) Catch them when there is a glint in their eye. That demands sun. That glint in their eye makes the world of difference to the picture. Personally, I don't want to take pictures of birds when their eyes look dull. I could have a 30 grand camera and everything else in the picture looks absolutely perfect, but without that glint it's just not the same. So, having a camera that doesn't perform in less than good light is not the end of the world.

8) Do your research., either through friends, contacts or the internet. Where are the birds you want to photograph?

9) Patience. After you've done your research, just go and lie down in a good spot for a couple of hours. You'll be amazed what turns up.

10) Relax. Don't treat it like having no decent pictures in a full day's trying is failure. That happens from time to time.

11) Background. It will make the world of difference to your picture. You'll soon get in the habit of just checking for a split second of what is in your background and move accordingly.

12) Willingness to learn. Most of the above are underpinned by whether or not you want to do better. What I mean by learn is what birds do in relation to your actions as opposed to the science of cameras.

The most overrated aspects?

1) The technical aspects of a camera. It's a creative pursuit as opposed to a science. Get carried away with fiddling around with the settings while you're trying to take pictures and the bird will more often than not have departed sharply. Work out your best settings in your own time, when you get to a place to photograph birds take a few practice shots of anything, and then just trust the camera and make sure you get into a good position. Personally I think it's much better to manoeuvre your position in relation to the sun than not move and mess around with your EV settings.

2) Shutter speed. 'Seems to be the holy grail. It is when taking pictures of birds in flight. For perched birds, it doesn't make a great deal of difference providing you keep the camera pretty steady.

That's a long answer but I suppose you asked! You'll be surprised how naturally these things come after diligently and repeatedly going through it.

Best of luck, mate!

With the small sensor these cameras aren't so good in average light but you can overcome that to an extent by making sure your background is bright and not aiming into the sky.

You could write all day long on what will make your pictures better, but I'd say the most important ones are as follows (in no particular order):

1) Effort. I know I'm stating the obvious here but I'll crack on anyway: the more time you spend trying to photograph birds the more things will land for you.

5) Judgement. When is the right time to move to get a bit closer and when is the right time to stay put.

6) Taking pictures lying down or sat down. You'll be amazed how close you can get to birds by sneaking up when lying down, even when you are out in the open and have no cover.

7) Catch them when there is a glint in their eye. That demands sun. That glint in their eye makes the world of difference to the picture. Personally, I don't want to take pictures of birds when their eyes look dull. I could have a 30 grand camera and everything else in the picture looks absolutely perfect, but without that glint it's just not the same. So, having a camera that doesn't perform in less than good light is not the end of the world.

8) Do your research., either through friends, contacts or the internet. Where are the birds you want to photograph?

9) Patience. After you've done your research, just go and lie down in a good spot for a couple of hours. You'll be amazed what turns up.

10) Relax. Don't treat it like having no decent pictures in a full day's trying is failure. That happens from time to time.

11) Background. It will make the world of difference to your picture. You'll soon get in the habit of just checking for a split second of what is in your background and move accordingly.

12) Willingness to learn. Most of the above are underpinned by whether or not you want to do better. What I mean by learn is what birds do in relation to your actions as opposed to the science of cameras.

1) The technical aspects of a camera. It's a creative pursuit as opposed to a science. Get carried away with fiddling around with the settings while you're trying to take pictures and the bird will more often than not have departed sharply. Work out your best settings in your own time, when you get to a place to photograph birds take a few practice shots of anything, and then just trust the camera and make sure you get into a good position. Personally I think it's much better to manoeuvre your position in relation to the sun than not move and mess around with your EV settings.

2) Shutter speed. 'Seems to be the holy grail. It is when taking pictures of birds in flight. For perched birds, it doesn't make a great deal of difference providing you keep the camera pretty steady.

That's a long answer but I suppose you asked! You'll be surprised how naturally these things come after diligently and repeatedly going through it.

Best of luck, mate!
What a great post, I hope many people read it!

Best of luck, mate!
Thank you so much! This is very helpful. Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back