• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Places to stay at Murchison Falls (1 Viewer)

Steve Babbs

The main budget place seems to be Red Chilli Rest Camp but it sounds a bit too popular and possibly noisy. Has anyone experience of any other budget accommodation at Murchison?

Steve, we attempted to stay at the Shoebill campsite, but the track had been so badly damaged by rain that we couldn't get our 4x4 down to the camping area; it looked really nice and with barely anybody there. We ended up at Red Chilli, and despite having the same reservations, it was a really nice place to stay and ideal for the Paraa ferry. Watch out for the hippos though!
Here is a website we used to get an idea of the options. Feel free to drop me a message if you have any questions.

That looks interesting. Were you there during the rainy season and what 4x4 was it? We have a Landcruiser but I have to admit my 4x4 driving experience is very limited.
How long before it departed did you get there for the ferry and if the first one is full do they do another one straight after or are you stuffed until the next scheduled one?

That looks interesting. Were you there during the rainy season and what 4x4 was it? We have a Landcruiser but I have to admit my 4x4 driving experience is very limited.
Dry season - September. There had been a few downpours, but the entrance was very muddy and the ruts where other vehicles had been through were over a meter deep - they would've swallowed our Rav4. Did you go with Roadtrip Africa in the end? Very highly recommended. Here's a link to my trip report, it was an incredible experience, you will have a fantastic trip - very envious!

Dry season - September. There had been a few downpours, but the entrance was very muddy and the ruts where other vehicles had been through were over a meter deep - they would've swallowed our Rav4. Did you go with Roadtrip Africa in the end? Very highly recommended. Here's a link to my trip report, it was an incredible experience, you will have a fantastic trip - very envious!
Roadtrip for Tanzania; 4 x 4Uganda for Uganda. Both were originally meant to happen 2 years earlier. We've been offered a Landcruiser for US$60 a day for Uganda but we are hiring it for 30 days. Good trip report; it was one of the first that I downloaded. I've only just clicked that it was your report hence asking when you went.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back