• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Poo-uli Endangered or Extinct? (1 Viewer)

Съвсем наскоро прочетох за Poo-uli и бих искал да знам дали някоя от тези птици все още съществува или е възможно вече да е изчезнала. Ето линк за повече информация за птицата

http://www.birdlife.org/datazone/species/index.html?action=SpcHTMDetails.asp&sid=8926&m=0
От това, което чух вчера, скорошният спад на популациите на 'akeke'e и 'akikiki на Kaua'i беше потвърден от проучването през май. Не е установена конкретна причина.
Съществува ли сега?

За съжаление, данните за популацията на вашата връзка са остарели и изглежда, че шансовете за Po'o-uli са фактически нулеви след смъртта на една от трите птици, която беше отведена в плен: http://www.birdlife . org/news/news/2004/12/hawaiian_tragedy.html С другите две птици, които не са наблюдавани от 2003 г., изглежда Po'o-uli се присъединява към все още растящата галерия от позор на човечеството.
And now this year, does it exist, have they discovered anything?

Техният обхват беше наистина миниатюрен и популацията им се срина през последните 10-20 години (птицата е известна едва през последните 35 години). Дори ако има няколко индивида, които все още съществуват, но не са открити, факторите, които са причинили бързия му упадък, несъмнено все още са в сила, което прави шансовете му за оцеляване близо до нула, дори ако все още съществува

Their range was truly miniscule, and their population crashed over the last 10-20 years (the bird has only been known for the last 35 years). Even if there are a few individuals still in existence but undetected, the factors which caused its rapid decline are no doubt still in effect, making its odds of survival near zero even if it were to still exist.
Any news on them?

Also, the last three known birds all lived in three different areas, isolated from one another. Once populations get down into the low hundreds it's just a matter of time...
Yes, I hope there are more and they don't disappear when they caught the bird, feathers came from it and the scientists can bring it back again

Getting down to the low hundreds is not necessarily a death sentence - it all depends on whether the conditions which caused the population decline can be reversed. The Puaiohi on Kauai was undetected for years, and its population may have been below 100, but thanks to intensive recovery efforts its population is now over 300 and it is breeding successfully in the wild. The Drepanidids seem to be particularly sensitive to introduced threats, however, and I guess rats were the most likely (or at least the final) culprit for the Po'ouli.

Actually, the Po'ouli's best hope now is that technology will one day allow cloning of a bird from its DNA. Samples have been carefully preserved in a "frozen zoo" for that purpose.
In which zoo are her feathers and specimens?

Very sad...having birded in Hawaii, I always keep an eye on the status of the endemics...avian malaria seems to be the main problem, out of the many....

I'd say the chances of the O'u surviving are probably higher than the Po'ouli, which sadly, I think is gone.

Is there any news on the O'u recently, by any chance?

Ken
Yes, I am also asking if there is any news on Po'ouli

The news is that they are extinct, and have been for quite a few years now. If they were refound at this point it would make major headlines.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back