• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Queensland, Australia - Unknown Moth (5) (1 Viewer)

Mark Eising

Registered Member
I found this moth at O’Reilly’s Rainforest Retreat, Lamington National Park, Queensland, Australia on 4 November 2022.

Any advice or help is highly appreciated!

Attachments

• Moth. O’Reilly’s Rainforest Retreat, Lamington National Park, Queensland, 4 November 2022.jpg
    Moth. O’Reilly’s Rainforest Retreat, Lamington National Park, Queensland, 4 November 2022.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 9
Thank you Atropos. Could this also be Lymantria nephrographa?
From memory (and nephrographa does not occur anywhere near me so only seen a couple of specimens in a collection) the round stigma should be pale inside. That said there has been a review of Lymantria in the Indo-Pacific and I have not checked your photo against that and the criteria for species ID.
If you have any other photos, both of this or any other species please post and I will see if I can help. Spent the last ten years trapping extensively in FNQ and Arnhem Land in the NT

From memory (and nephrographa does not occur anywhere near me so only seen a couple of specimens in a collection) the round stigma should be pale inside. That said there has been a review of Lymantria in the Indo-Pacific and I have not checked your photo against that and the criteria for species ID.
If you have any other photos, both of this or any other species please post and I will see if I can help. Spent the last ten years trapping extensively in FNQ and Arnhem Land in the NT
Wow, very interesting! I have a few more photos! I can't wait to hear what you think.

Attachments

• Lymantria nephrographa. O’Reilly’s Rainforest Retreat, Lamington National Park, Queensland, 4 ...JPG
    Lymantria nephrographa. O’Reilly’s Rainforest Retreat, Lamington National Park, Queensland, 4 ...JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 7
  • Lymantria nephrographa. O’Reilly’s Rainforest Retreat, Lamington National Park, Queensland, 4 ...JPG
    Lymantria nephrographa. O’Reilly’s Rainforest Retreat, Lamington National Park, Queensland, 4 ...JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 5
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
    1.7 MB · Views: 5
Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back