• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Question to Canon 10x42L IS WR owners (1 Viewer)

vkx86

Dear folks,

I'm thinking about adding IS bino to my collection - Nikon Monarch 7 8x42 and Zeiss Victory 8x25 Pocket.
I'm using mostly Zeiss Victory, mostly because it better than Nikon Monarch in terms of sharpness and CA control in daylight, so 10x42 L seems correct path in my case.
Ergonomics wise - what is outside diameter of 10x42 eyecups?

TIA

Last edited:
Note that the rubber eyecups are a very close fit to the optics (ocular lenses maybe 40mm in diameter) and that the rubber is both hard as well as right angled, so not fun to jam into the face, but works great if you're wearing glasses. :)
A Japanese guide I met on a mini pelagic off Japan had removed the eye cups and wrapped the oculars in several layers of duck tape. which gave a much softer edge.

Note that the rubber eyecups are a very close fit to the optics (ocular lenses maybe 40mm in diameter) and that the rubber is both hard as well as right angled, so not fun to jam into the face, but works great if you're wearing glasses. :)
A Japanese guide I met on a mini pelagic off Japan had removed the eye cups and wrapped the oculars in several layers of duck tape. which gave a much softer edge.
I wondered why Canon didn't make edges of eyecups more round, until found that diagram yesterday:
Canon 10x42IS internals side
I'm not sure, but seems there was no option to make them more round without impacting edge strength other than increasing eyecup height above lens by couple of millimeters, which may impact usage for eyeglass wearers.
OTOH it looks there is enough thickness to make edges more round without increasing height.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back