• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Quiet In My Garden (1 Viewer)

Euan Buchan

The Edinburgh Birdwatcher
Supporter
Scotland
Used to be a time I’d fill up my feeders daily nowadays days they remain fully topped up. I have just returned from a week in Northumberland and they are still topped up only thing that needed topped up was the coconut feeder. Used to be a time I’d fill up the feeders before going on holiday and come back and the feeders would be empty it’s quite sad I miss them anyone else having the same situation?

Used to be a time I’d fill up my feeders daily nowadays days they remain fully topped up. I have just returned from a week in Northumberland and they are still topped up only thing that needed topped up was the coconut feeder. Used to be a time I’d fill up the feeders before going on holiday and come back and the feeders would be empty it’s quite sad I miss them anyone else having the same situation?
Emptying very quickly here Euan.

What kind of birds did you frequently have visit and what bird seed are you offering them?

Have you tried rotating your feeders around different parts of the garden? We rotate our bird feeders and tables to different locations weekly. Have you had any new cats move in close by?

What kind of birds did you frequently have visit and what bird seed are you offering them?

Have you tried rotating your feeders around different parts of the garden? We rotate our bird feeders and tables to different locations weekly. Have you had any new cats move in close by?
Get mainly Blue Tits, Chaffinches, Robins, House Sparrows, Great Tits occasional Goldfinch & Greenfinch. I use sunflower hearts which they did love now don’t seem interested and I’ve moved the feeders around

Get mainly Blue Tits, Chaffinches, Robins, House Sparrows, Great Tits occasional Goldfinch & Greenfinch. I use sunflower hearts which they did love now don’t seem interested and I’ve moved the feeders around
If it was me I’d just spend some time in the garden and get an idea for where the birds like to enter and exit from. This will give you a great insight to where they feel the safest, once you’ve picked that spot hang a feeder there and see how it goes.

Sunflower hearts are ok, personally I find them overrated, especially as a straight seed. You’d be better off with a good all purpose mix that’s got a bit of everything in it. Birds need a balanced diet and they’re not daft.

Another issue with sunflower hearts are the feeders, it takes considerably longer for a bird to pluck a heart from a mesh feeder than it would, let’s say a kibbled peanut from a port feeder. If they don’t feel safe and the feeders aren’t well covered, they might not be prepared to take this risk.

You could also try attracting them back in with a bird bath if you have one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back