• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ring Identification - Firth of Forth, Scotland (1 Viewer)

Gander

Each year, Rock Pipits move into my patch, which is on the north side of the Firth of Forth, for the winter. I found half a dozen Ripits, a couple of days ago, and spotted that one of them had a metal ring. I tried to photograph it at maximum zoom, but the sunlight was very strong at the time, so the reflected light off the ring obscured most of the shots. I managed to get three partial shots of the ring, but I don't think there is enough info visible to pinpoint the exact ringing location/date/time. I am hoping though that someone might recognise the style of the inscription, to give me a general idea of where this bird has come from. My guess is that it will be from Norway, but they seem to use colour rings for Ripit, so maybe not. The inscription seems unusual to me, as in one of the photos, you can see one two digit number (64 or 67) above another 2 digit number (92). These numbers could of course be part of larger numbers, and I think I might be seeing a letter D on one of the photos. Any ideas?

Attachments

• Ring 1.jpg
    Ring 1.jpg
    529.4 KB · Views: 26
  • Ring 2.jpg
    Ring 2.jpg
    587.8 KB · Views: 25
  • Ring 3.jpg
    Ring 3.jpg
    735.2 KB · Views: 26
Unfortunately, the images simply aren't clear enough and it can be really difficult to interpret highlighted areas. Nothing in these that I can see that eliminates a BTO size A2 ring put on upside down. Any chance of more pics or getting a local ringer to catch it?

Unfortunately, the images simply aren't clear enough and it can be really difficult to interpret highlighted areas. Nothing in these that I can see that eliminates a BTO size A2 ring put on upside down. Any chance of more pics or getting a local ringer to catch it?
The bird is on my patch, so I'll try and get more photos (tried today, but it was up on a tower, out of range). Thanks for looking.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back