• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

road to Purmamarca Argentina May 20 (1 Viewer)

49bentley

Canada
Can someone please identify this bird? Taken on the road to Purmamarca Argentina May

Attachments

• CAT04918-D.jpg
    CAT04918-D.jpg
    134.6 KB · Views: 36
  • CAT04919-D.jpg
    CAT04919-D.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 36
  • CAT04920-D.jpg
    CAT04920-D.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 36
Most noticeable is the long tail. Even though I cannot make it fit fully, what about something like Long-tailed ReedFinch or some relative thereof?
Niels

Thanks Niels and JWN Andrewes. I agree that I think its a finch, but Long-tailed Reed Finch has a buff or whitish supercilium. No other finches seem to fit either.

Thanks Niels and JWN Andrewes. I agree that I think its a finch, but Long-tailed Reed Finch has a buff or whitish supercilium. No other finches seem to fit either.
I was wondering if it could be a young bird of some type. I agree it does not quite fit anything I could find.
Niels

The most obvious choice within range is a young Great Pampa-finch, which is streaked above, has a similar head pattern and a variably dark bill, with pale at the base. The only thing against this is that juveniles have a streaked breast, but perhaps this bird has replaced those feathers?

Brian

Last edited:
The most obvious choice within range is a young Great Pampas-finch, which is streaked above, has a similar head pattern and a variably dark bill, with pale at the base. The only thing against this is that juveniles have a streaked breast, but perhaps this bird has replaced those feathers?

Brian
I agree. The first and last bill pattern above match that in the op. Some details seem different (bill shape, tail colour), but I think that's down to the peculiarities of this particular image

Users who are viewing this thread

Back