• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Robin nesting in my wall basket of strawberry plants (1 Viewer)

Anna R

United Kingdom
Hello everyone. Need help please. I have a Robin nesting in my wall box. It's near a drain pipe,but sheltered,as my bean cage covered in plastic is in front of it. There is a plastic liner in the wall box,which is usually tucked into the back of it. This afternoon I saw it had been either blown over the nest,or she's pulled it over the nest during the rain last night. I've taped it so it doesn't do that now. Just wondering did I do the right thing,or does she need to cover the nest. Five eggs inside it. She watched me,then flew back in there,so she's not worried by me.Should I feed her,or leave her to do it all alone. Thanks.

I would leave her well alone and avoid going to or near the nest as it could cause her to abandon the nest.

Robins eat worms, seeds, fruits, insects and other invertebrates. You could leave mealworms and chopped fruit for her and provide a seed feeder. The robins in my garden also like the suet blocks and balls. If you can provide fresh water too, that would be good.

I had this same "problem" with a Wren a few years ago.
We left her alone.
The strawberries looked great, unfortunately !

Hi Anna and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators. They don't normally have a covered nest, so I don't think she will have pulled it over, she would have constructed something herself, LOL. Don't feed too close to the nest, or it could attract other birds in and she'd then get stressed trying to protect it. She would certainly appreciate some mealworms left in a dish so she can feed up on them herself, before going off to find more suitable food for the young.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

I would leave her well alone and avoid going to or near the nest as it could cause her to abandon the nest.

Robins eat worms, seeds, fruits, insects and other invertebrates. You could leave mealworms and chopped fruit for her and provide a seed feeder. The robins in my garden also like the suet blocks and balls. If you can provide fresh water too, that would be good.
Thank you for your advice. I'll get her some food and water.

Hi Anna and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators. They don't normally have a covered nest, so I don't think she will have pulled it over, she would have constructed something herself, LOL. Don't feed too close to the nest, or it could attract other birds in and she'd then get stressed trying to protect it. She would certainly appreciate some mealworms left in a dish so she can feed up on them herself, before going off to find more suitable food for the young.

Thank you very much.Ah,good job I taped the plastic back. She's made a nest with the pink birthday ribbon from my bin,feathers & moss She's right beside the house,so I'll put food towards the back of the garden. The bird species all have their own trees,leaving the largest tree for the squirrels. It can get a bit noisy at times ! Thanks for your advice,I'll try to help her as best I can.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back