• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Russia. Ural. Lark. (1 Viewer)

No mistakes detected :). Welcome to birdforum!

Your bird is a Skylark Alauda arvensis. But it's a difficult picture because the bill seems very slim as it would be in Woodlark Lullula arborea...

Woodlark is a more compact bird with a really short tail, plus on range it should not occur in the Urals as I understand. But the range map ends not far West so who knows...

That's a big contrasting supercilium, and the wing pattern appears a little ambiguous.
Natasha, do you have any more photos, including some that show the head from the side or from behind?

That's the trouble with iNat: no one ever gives any reasons and there's almost never any discussion.
Personally, I suspect it's a woodlark - but I wouldn't identify it from this photo alone.

That's the trouble with iNat: no one ever gives any reasons and there's almost never any discussion.
Personally, I suspect it's a woodlark - but I wouldn't identify it from this photo alone.
I was torn, leaned this way myself but with no confidence.

I agree with Roland, Skylark. As mentioned, the structure is consistent with that species. The suggestion of a Woodlark-like wing pattern seems to be the result of a trick of light: the primary coverts are not really black basally with a white tip, they're apparently just brownish as the rest of the plumage. Another helpful feature is that the supercilia apparently do not meet on the nape (which is here spotted brownish), ruling out Woodlark.

The suggestion of a Woodlark-like wing pattern seems to be the result of a trick of light: the primary coverts are not really black basally with a white tip, they're apparently just brownish as the rest of the plumage. Another helpful feature is that the supercilia apparently do not meet on the nape
I agree with the first point, but I don't see the nape of the neck to be able to assess the second [and ebird an "headline" woodlark photo shows this feature can be "subtle"]. I think it's a skylark, though.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back