• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Santa Maria, CA, USA in March Gull #2 (1 Viewer)

That's the same photo, cropped.
note the file title, 1504, 1505

I caught the bird opening its mouth

I purposefully cropped the earlier picture (1504) because the request was for any other shots with a focus on the bill shape. I assumed that the crop would help even though the mouth was still open.

The point of rkj's request (which wasn't 'for any other shots with a focus on the bill shape') was that an open bill makes it impossible to judge bill-shape properly.

I think it is a Glaucus-winged Gull. A better view showing the shape of the bill and head could concievablely change my mind about that, but I think Glaucus-winged is probably correct.

The point of rkj's request (which wasn't 'for any other shots with a focus on the bill shape') was that an open bill makes it impossible to judge bill-shape properly.
I did not misunderstand the request.
I understood the shortcoming of the first photo.
I qualified my response by saying it was my only other shot.
I was trying to be responsive and helpful.
Why are you critiquing a conversation between two people and not making a comment of the bird in question, which I think is the purpose of this forum?

I did not misunderstand the request.
I understood the shortcoming of the first photo.
Your comments indicated otherwise. If you subsequently wish to restate your view, that's altogether fine.
Why are you critiquing a conversation between two people and not making a comment of the bird in question, which I think is the purpose of this forum?
Everybody is in this forum to learn about ID - it's about far more than simply getting a questioner an answer to their specific problem. You appeared not to understand the point of somebody's comment and to misunderstand their request. I clarified that.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back