• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Seeking advice for birding western Costa Rica on a budget (1 Viewer)

DMRbirder

United States
Thanks to having saved up miles on a couple of airlines, I may be able to spend just over two weeks in Costa Rica this winter, from December 18th to January 4th. I've been birding in Costa Rica before and absolutely loved it. On those trips, I birded mostly in the Arenal area in Alajuela Province and in Heredia Province, where I stayed at the OTS La Selva Biological Research Station, which was very affordable (I didn't mind staying in a dormitory, and eating in a cafeteria was fine).

This time, I'd like to bird in the western part of the country. I'll be flying in to the airport near Liberia, and I'm wondering, for instance, if it would be possible to bird in a few different habitats in the northwest,then drive down to the south and stay at the OTS Las Cruces Biological Station for the last several days of birding, and then fly home from San Jose.

The Parque Nacional Rincón de la Vieja looks close to Liberia.

From there maybe go south to Parque Nacional Palo Verde and stay at the OTS Palo Verde Biological Station.

And then southeast to Parque Nacional Carara. Or instead head east to the Monteverde Cloud Forest, perhaps staying at the San Gerardo Biological Station.

Then do a long drive to the Las Cruces Biological Station.

I don't know if that's trying to bird in too many locations in 13 or 14 days.

And I don't know if there are affordable accommodations in or near PN Rincón de la Vieja and/or PN Carara.

Anyway, advice would be greatly appreciated!

Not sure what a budget trip is but here is some info on some spots in that area, admittedly not a full on hardcore birding trip. Ebird lists in there so you can get a sense of species.

Search out Pat O'Donnell on the web. His blog has some great info on birding the gunacaste region as well as Rincon.

Sorry can't be more helpful.

The "obvious" place to stay is Rincon de la Vieja lodge. There are various good birds in the grounds. However, the mosquitos and especially sand flies are really something. Definitely prepare with plenty of repellent.

You will have a car, but if not note that it's quite a long walk to the park entrance. If you go early enough, it's possible to enter without waiting for the park to open. This is worthwhile—e.g. lots of curassows,— although I wouldn't suggest you avoid paying of course.

Thanks to having saved up miles on a couple of airlines, I may be able to spend just over two weeks in Costa Rica this winter, from December 18th to January 4th. I've been birding in Costa Rica before and absolutely loved it. On those trips, I birded mostly in the Arenal area in Alajuela Province and in Heredia Province, where I stayed at the OTS La Selva Biological Research Station, which was very affordable (I didn't mind staying in a dormitory, and eating in a cafeteria was fine).

This time, I'd like to bird in the western part of the country. I'll be flying in to the airport near Liberia, and I'm wondering, for instance, if it would be possible to bird in a few different habitats in the northwest,then drive down to the south and stay at the OTS Las Cruces Biological Station for the last several days of birding, and then fly home from San Jose.

The Parque Nacional Rincón de la Vieja looks close to Liberia.

From there maybe go south to Parque Nacional Palo Verde and stay at the OTS Palo Verde Biological Station.

And then southeast to Parque Nacional Carara. Or instead head east to the Monteverde Cloud Forest, perhaps staying at the San Gerardo Biological Station.

Then do a long drive to the Las Cruces Biological Station.

I don't know if that's trying to bird in too many locations in 13 or 14 days.

And I don't know if there are affordable accommodations in or near PN Rincón de la Vieja and/or PN Carara.

Anyway, advice would be greatly appreciated!
When you go to the Monteverde area, look up Beto Guido (he's on facebook and responds quickly), he's an excellent guide and speaks English.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back