• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Seeking Recommendations on Galapagos Cruise: Western or Eastern Itinerary? (1 Viewer)

LittleBrownCreeper

United States
With limited time for a Galapagos tour, I need to choose either western or an eastern itinerary. I want to save time for the Andes and a quick trip to the Amazon. I need birders' input: which would you/did you choose? Thanks. 🐧

*Shpiel from one travel guide:
"Cruising the Eastern Islands, highlights include a seasonal breeding site for thousands of waved albatross, the largest red-footed booby colony in the world, and amazing snorkeling around iconic Pinnacle Rock. On our Western Islands journey, explore a shoreline full of endemic flightless cormorants, snorkel at famous Devil’s Crown, and visit a colony of magnificent frigatebirds. Both itineraries are fantastic natural history adventures, and these legendary islands provide an incredible learning experience for everyone."

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-03-01 132643.png
    Screenshot 2023-03-01 132643.png
    539.5 KB · Views: 4
Check the list of Galapagos birds and which are more important for you.

If this includes the Waved Albatross, check that your tour is at a time of the year when you can see them (the colony may be empty at certain times of the year).

The western tour should also include the Penguin beyond what they have stated. This and the cormorant are resident as far as I know.

I think you will get around 2/3 of the finches on either tour.
Niels

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back