• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

S'Ena Arrubia, Sardinia, Italy (1 Viewer)

wentmat

Hi all,

I have a few photos of waders which I would appreciate some help with, I think I know what I am looking at but any confirmation would be great.

(1) I think this is a Little Stint from the structure of the bird, the pattern on the wings and the whiteish throat (Temminck's Stint is also a possibility here).
(2) I think this is a Dunlin from the size of the bill and plumage, it looked relatively small overall which is why I am questioning it, but then it was some distance away so this could have been misleading.
(3) I believe this is a Ruff in winter plumage from the overall structure and the shape and size of the bill, but not sure.
(4) At first I thought maybe green sandpiper from the solid grey plumage, but now I think I can see some red at the base of the bill, so maybe redshank, knee-deep in mud?
(5) A Juvenile Plover, from the structure and white forehead maybe Kentish Plover?

Thanks in advance!

Matt

Attachments

• (1) 3.10.21.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 50
  • (2) 3.10.21.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 44
  • (3) 3.10.21.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 42
  • (5) 3-10.21.jpeg
    4.1 MB · Views: 48
  • (4) 3.10.21.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 50
Many thanks for your help. I just wanted to double check the Juvenile Ringed Plover vs Juvenile Kentish Plover ID. Structurally, picture 5 looks a bit more like a Kentish Plover to me, and I am not certain if the plumage means it should be a Ringed Plover - there is a photo of a Kentish Plover in this birdguides article that looks quite a bit like this bird: Ringed, Little Ringed and Kentish Plovers photo ID guide.

Further thoughts most welcome!

Best,

Matt

Many thanks for your help. I just wanted to double check the Juvenile Ringed Plover vs Juvenile Kentish Plover ID. Structurally, picture 5 looks a bit more like a Kentish Plover to me, and I am not certain if the plumage means it should be a Ringed Plover - there is a photo of a Kentish Plover in this birdguides article that looks quite a bit like this bird: Ringed, Little Ringed and Kentish Plovers photo ID guide.

Further thoughts most welcome!

Best,

Matt
I can't see a bird with such deep and extensive chest-patches being a KP.

Ok thanks again!

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back