• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Separating male and female 'Ringtail' Hen Harriers (1 Viewer)

Saw this a while ago and thought it isn't really much use - how often does one see a Hen Harrier from closer than 2 km? Any Hen Harrier that lets humans get closer than that, is dead :-C :storm:

On North Uist, Western Isles, we have frequently seen Hen Harriers at 200 metres and occasionally a ringtail has flown within 50 metres of our hired cottage. I believe much of Dobler's observing was done at winter roosts at close distances.

Lee

On North Uist, Western Isles, we have frequently seen Hen Harriers at 200 metres and occasionally a ringtail has flown within 50 metres of our hired cottage. I believe much of Dobler's observing was done at winter roosts at close distances.

Lee
No gamekeepers there, of course!

Around here, they are - of absolute necessity - exceedingly wary.

No gamekeepers there, of course!

Around here, they are - of absolute necessity - exceedingly wary.

Yes I take your point and in the webinar on Friday about Harrier identification I will be asking whether there are clues as to sex from the way the Harriers fly as this would help from a distance.

Closer views of Hen Harriers may be possible in England when the birds are on passage. I remember close views at Benacre in Suffolk late in the year. But you are right about the sorry state of Hen Harriers in England.

Lee

The birds roosting at Wicken Fen often give exceptionally close views, usually entering the boardwalk area near the visitor centre (for those familiar with the reserve) and flying around for prolonged periods before settling. Having said that, I've never separated male from female ringtails here.

This paper was given away recently as a free supplement with one of the monthly magazines (must be either BB or Birdwatch). I haven't read it yet but I'll get onto it before this winter's roost builds up.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back