• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Shorebird ID Help (1 Viewer)

Lee Birder

United States
Spotted these birds in Mecklenburg County, NC in USA today, 5/10/23.

Attachments

• untitled.jpg
    untitled.jpg
    440.9 KB · Views: 30
  • untitled-2.jpg
    untitled-2.jpg
    439.7 KB · Views: 31
  • untitled-4.jpg
    untitled-4.jpg
    460.1 KB · Views: 31
  • untitled-6.jpg
    untitled-6.jpg
    459.2 KB · Views: 34
  • untitled-9.jpg
    untitled-9.jpg
    522.4 KB · Views: 35
  • untitled-10.jpg
    untitled-10.jpg
    517.8 KB · Views: 31
  • untitled-11.jpg
    untitled-11.jpg
    479.3 KB · Views: 25
  • untitled-12.jpg
    untitled-12.jpg
    423.5 KB · Views: 23
  • untitled.jpg
    untitled.jpg
    440.9 KB · Views: 23
  • untitled-2.jpg
    untitled-2.jpg
    439.7 KB · Views: 22
  • untitled-4.jpg
    untitled-4.jpg
    460.1 KB · Views: 21
  • untitled-6.jpg
    untitled-6.jpg
    459.2 KB · Views: 20
  • untitled.jpg
    untitled.jpg
    571.8 KB · Views: 20
  • untitled-2.jpg
    untitled-2.jpg
    536.6 KB · Views: 30
Hard to be sure of the first bird in the first 4 images, with the white face. It’s either Semipalmated Sandpiper or White-rumped. I think it’s White-rumped because it seems like the wings are long but the resolution leaves a lot to speculation. The darker ones are mostly Least Sandpiper. The last two photos might show Pectoral Sandpiper, which looks similar to Least but the bill appears slightly thicker, longer and less curved and they are a slightly larger species. Sorry I can’t be more definitive due to the resolution of the photos. It would be a little helpful to label the file names with unique names so we could more easily make reference to specific images

Last edited:
I think the "first" untitled with the extensive yellow on the bill could well be a pitfall pectoral sandpiper. Yes it looks elongated (cf Baird's, white-rumped) but I think that's largely due to its stance. Where is the clearly defined "pectoral"? I think it's there but disguised by image quality

Breeding white-rumped has this reddish/yellowish on the bill but think not as extensive or bright yellow as we see here taking pic quality into account. I can't make this bird into a semi.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back