• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sigma 150/2.8 vs Nikon 200/4 (1 Viewer)

Duke Leto

Without habitat, there is no wildlife. It's that s
I have a Nikon 105vr micro and now as I shoot FX I want to get a longer focal length macro lens, my short list is the renowned Nikon 200/4 or the modern os version of the Sigma 150/2.8
Discounted the new 180 sigma as the stupidly large filter thread stops me from using the excellent Nikon wireless flash kit the R1C1 (can only take up to 77mm)

I'm erring toward the sigma as it has os but the reviews of the Nikon tell me I should get the best macro lens produced.

Has anyone got one or compared either?

Any help appreciated

Hi Steve, I have the micro nikkor 200/4, and a DG version (Nikon fit) of the Sigma 180/3.5 (ie not OS ) and also a Canon fit 150 Sigma DG version. The two Nikon fits give excellent results on DSLRs and also on the Nikon 1 cameras with the FT1 adaptor. Many insect images in my gallery taken with both types of cameras.
PM me with any questions/details you require.
regards David.

We have both the 200mm f4.0 Nikkor and the new Sigma 150mm f2.8 OS.
The Sigma is a stellar lens - the only bug is that the AF occasionally quits and freezes - I need to send it to Sigma for service. It has very pleasing colours and is very sharp - it has totally replaced my Nikkor 105mm Micro.
The 200mm Micro Nikkor has the old drive by wire AF system, which is slow - and which won't work with many newer Nikon bodies including Nikon 1 /FT1.
That said, it is the sharpest lens in our arsenal.
I suggest you try both (rent / test) and see which one you like most.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back