• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Skipper I.D. Cheshire (1 Viewer)

davids

Hi

Can anybody confirm the i.d. of this skipper? Based on the first photo I thought it might be an Essex but looking more closely at the second photo I think it is just a Small.

Thanks

David

Attachments

• Skipper-4978.jpg
    Skipper-4978.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 32
  • Skipper-4983.jpg
    Skipper-4983.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 32
Looks like Essex to me as the underside of the antennae look inky black.
Thanks. I wasn’t sure in the second photo whether the left hand antenna showed some brown on the underside. I should have said in my original post it is a rare but spreading species in Cheshire.

Decent shot of both antennae and scent gland. Definitely Essex for me

I know it is technically a spreading species but I think a lot of it is just under reporting. When people did proper surveys around us they found it was present almost everywhere that had small skippers at all

Thanks. I wasn’t sure in the second photo whether the left hand antenna showed some brown on the underside. I should have said in my original post it is a rare but spreading species in Cheshire.
Females are certainly trickier to ID.

We found quite a few on the Dee-side of the Wirral yesterday ( including Burton Mere ) . I hadn’t realised that they had colonised our area before - I remember having to travel to the Suffolk area to photograph them back in the day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back