• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Some Australian Raptors I need help with (1 Viewer)

Greg McKay

I like the pretty colors
The first 2 birds were photographed at the Western Treatment plant Southern Victoria.
photos 1 and 2 are of the same bird
3 and 4 are of a different bird.
I believe both to be Swamp Harriers but need to rule out Spotted Harriers can someone help please?
The 5th photo is of what I believe to be a juvenile Brown Goshawk being distinct from a Collared Sparrowhawk but need confirmation.

Attachments

• _DSC7385.jpg
    _DSC7385.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 48
  • DSC_0035.jpg
    DSC_0035.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 50
  • DSC_0071.jpg
    DSC_0071.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 35
  • _DSC7449.jpg
    _DSC7449.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 39
  • _DSC7162.jpg
    _DSC7162.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 58
Greg, I reckon yer right with the swampies in 1,2,3,4

As for the hawk - I won't hazard a guess unless I can see the middle toe!

Chosun :gh:

Yep, 1, 2, 3, 4 are all swampie - uniform plumage in 1/2 and white-rump in pics 3/4 rule out spotted
As for the gosparrow, I would tentatively say Goshawk due to general jizz and the fat legs, but I'm not sure...

Last edited:
Yep, 1, 2, 3, 4 are all swampie - uniform plumage in 1/2 and white-rump in pics 3/4 rule out spotted
As for the gosparrow, I would tenttively say Goshawk due to general jizz and the fat legs, but I'm not sure...
I agree with Josh, although also not 100% on the hawk - difficult from that angle

And 1 more from the treatment plant.
I reckon its a Swamp Harrier as well.
Also head size and brow shape made me think Goshawk over Sparrowhawk but I have posted another photo of a second bird in extremely close proximity that may help.

Attachments

• DSC_0101.jpg
    DSC_0101.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 35
  • _DSC7163.jpg
    _DSC7163.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 41
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back