• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sony E 70-350mm zoom range (1 Viewer)

DRodrigues

I decided to replace my E 55-210 by the 70-350mm since the first one wasn't really useful for me and the second isn't much expensive, is small and assumed as much sharper than the first, by reading some tests.
Still didn't use it much but already allowed me to take some useful photos of a Marmaronetta brood - probably the first for Portugal in the wild!...:)
It's a much better and sharper lens (for video the 2x digital zoom retains high quality image with my a6000), but I decided to test it's zoom range...:cry:
So I obtained a 4,6x zoom and comparing to the 55-210, I reached an estimated 71-327mm...(n)
On the photos, each fence space has 5 cm.
Did anyone compared it's range to the FE 70-300mm?

Attachments

• Sony_70_350_70mm.JPG
    Sony_70_350_70mm.JPG
    379.7 KB · Views: 16
  • Sony_70_350_350mm.JPG
    Sony_70_350_350mm.JPG
    203.4 KB · Views: 16
Thank you Malcolm. (y)
I knew this phenomenon in spotting scopes (with moving prisms), but didn't associated with photo lenses. I assumed that is was a marketing result (I see this often with AFOVs of telescope eyepieces...), so didn't bother to contact Sony, although I was not expecting this from Sony.
I will try to redo measures focusing at the infinite, but will not be easy with these focal lengths...
By the way, the zoom range of the 55-210mm was ok.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back