• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sony PCM A10 (1 Viewer)

Peter Ericsson

I have a Zoom H5 that I use with Sennheiser ME66. This is good enough but often bulky to carry along as I have camera, bins, water bottle etc

So since the Sony PCM A10 has good reviews I got one. I have tried to find anyone reviewing it with recording bird sounds but can not find anyone. Ha!

So, a basic question I suppose but what are the recommended settings on this device? Should I use either low or high filter? What dB level should I strive for?

Any input is much welcomed.

Peter

I have a Zoom H5 that I use with Sennheiser ME66. This is good enough but often bulky to carry along as I have camera, bins, water bottle etc

So since the Sony PCM A10 has good reviews I got one. I have tried to find anyone reviewing it with recording bird sounds but can not find anyone. Ha!

So, a basic question I suppose but what are the recommended settings on this device? Should I use either low or high filter? What dB level should I strive for?

Any input is much welcomed.

Peter

With all the praise this Sony gets, I suppose you can only get general recommendations for gain levels and filters... ie peak between -6 to -3, filters in case of background noises, etc?
But surely at this point, after over a month using the Sony vs the Zoom you can tell more about the differences?
Also since you carry more gear (camera etc), I'm curious about your usual audio setup, do you fit everything in pockets, or are you using a boom or grip, audio bag? (I have a grip with anti-schock mounts, very efficient to prevent handling noises, recorder velcroed to its, but it takes more room than I'd want if I'm carrying more gear.)

With all the praise this Sony gets, I suppose you can only get general recommendations for gain levels and filters... ie peak between -6 to -3, filters in case of background noises, etc?
But surely at this point, after over a month using the Sony vs the Zoom you can tell more about the differences?
Also since you carry more gear (camera etc), I'm curious about your usual audio setup, do you fit everything in pockets, or are you using a boom or grip, audio bag? (I have a grip with anti-schock mounts, very efficient to prevent handling noises, recorder velcroed to its, but it takes more room than I'd want if I'm carrying more gear.)
Sorry I havent been on the forum for awhile. I always carry the recorder in my pant pockets. It has turned out to make some excellent recordings. Not always for immediate playback but that is not my aim. So much easier to log around then my other gear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back