• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

South Coast England - Waders (1 Viewer)

BBandW

Hi, no great rarerities here but would welcome confirmation of what these are. All taken recently at Pagham harbour, a tidal mud flat on south coast of England. Thanks in anticipation.
DSC_5382.JPGDSC_5388.JPGDSC_5405.JPG

Hello,

I agree with Darell:

first is a Rock Pipit. Please note:
  • very good hues, dark brownish with an olive tinge
  • smeared streaks on upperparts, many Meadow Pipits have clearer, more well defined streaks, even tramlines
  • many Meadow Pipits have clearer/brighter leg colouration
Second are three Dunlins. I agree with you, its often advisable to think of the most common Calidris (=Dunlin) and then looking for scarcer birds among them. The left bird shows the right bill shape and I cant detect anything wrong for a Dunlin in the other two birds ( hope this helpful and I am quite confident that this was your thinking too)

Third bird is a Grey Plover. Large bill and large head in relation to the body and lack of warmer golden hues isnt good for Golden Plover

Users who are viewing this thread

Back