• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sparrow from India (1 Viewer)

Learn some manners please.

Everyone can look it up. Sind Sparrow has brownish neck sides which this bird lacks.
It is also restricted to natural wetland habitats and does not occur in Jaipur.
Fair and thanks for providing the reasoning. Though generally, if a query is contested, you should be providing your reasoning with your identification.

I don't expect that there's a clear-cut answer to any of my quite detailed and tricky questions, but I'll give it a try.

1) This female-type House Sparrow looks like it has brown neck sides, at least somewhat brown.
This female-type bird was identified as a vagrant Sind Sparrow. It has some brown but not as contrasting as the female House Sparrow above.
Is it possible that both of these IDs are correct**?

2) Both Opus and eBird say the male has a black bill. This is not exactly the case in eBird's own featured photos, in which only the tip is black:
The photo below was taken some 100 km to the northwest of Jaipur (out of the described range*) and shows a male with an all pale bill. Is it mis-identified?
On the other hand, the sparrow in the photo below also has a pale bill, so maybe it's the correct ID, only the feature is nonexistent. And, anyway, the male from the eBird record above has a certain non-House Sparrow feel to it.
I think I remember reading that House Sparrow changes bill colour in breeding plumage, so that could be a plausible explanation for Sind Sparrow as well. The source above, which is quite reliable*** (I think) also apparently endorses this notion.

*EDIT: It's still 100 km, and it's just a vagrant, so there is still no realistic chance of it occuring in Jaipur proper.

***EDIT 3: But why does the sparrow in the picture at the top of the blog post lack the grey cheek--just a House Sparrow after all?

**EDIT 2: Probably the first sparrow has too little brown on the neck, but--if it does--then the other one has no more of it, which would make the second bird a House Sparrow as well. Unless the cheek of the second bird counts as grey.

One more picture of an immature as a bonus.

I do wonder if they don't hybridise with each other somewhere, given that much more dissimilar sparrow species do.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back