• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Spotting Scopes - Personal needs and perceptions vs optical ability (1 Viewer)

Craig H

Around four years ago I sold my faithful Leica Televid APO 77 with its 32x Wide eyepiece after nearly 20 years of service. There were a few factors, weight being one, but what I was really missing was the ability to zoom in that I was seeing on so many 'new' scopes. I bit the bullet and bought an ATX85 - I was tempted with a new Leica but the warranty/after sales of Swarovski swayed me. The ATX was a bit lighter (or it felt so) and had the sought after zoom. I never got on with it. I couldn't get to grips with the helical focus, I didn't like the eyepiece and I just didn't find the view at 32x as pleasing as what I'd had with my Leica. 12 Months ago I sold the ATX and bought a Kowa 773. Some will say it can't compete with the ATX but for me the eyepiece is spot on, the focus is superb and reminiscent of the old Leica and I prefer the view to that of the Swaro, although it does decrease at full zoom and in low light. However after saying all that, I still think back to my APO 77 and think my biggest mistake was getting rid of it. I think that sometimes we are tempted to chase the latest optics when in actual fact we won't beat what we already have!!! Interested to hear if others have experienced similar.

I replaced my old Kowa scope this year, and chosen the best, Zeiss Harpia. I knew it is optically the best, I had the budget. Only in the last minute, I realized that when carrying the scope on longer hikes, I subconsciously hesitate because it is heavy. So I purchased a much lighter and narrower exit Swarovski. I m afraid there is one unhappy Zeiss dealer around...

I use an Opticron MM4 50 ED. I know there are better. I know there are brighter. But it is the combination of the silky smooth double focus wheels (I cannot get on with barrel focusing) and the pistol grip that make me grateful every single time I take her out to use in the field.

Small, sharp, bright. A delight to use. Cannot ask for more.

I have a Viking Swallow 50mm ‘scope (12 - 36 zoom) which I rarely use but it’s handy to take when I volunteer at my local RSPB, I generally only get to use it for about 20 minutes

I have an Opticron MM4 60mm (SDLv2 15 - 45 zoom) which I bought as a travel 'scope

and finally a Swarovski ATS80 (25 - 50 zoom) which I use most of the time.

When/if I start to feel a little disenfranchised with the ATS80 I take the MM4 out for the day - reminds me how good the ATS80 is and why I enjoy using it so much.

Hi,

I was lucky enough to get a cherry TSN-3 body for cheap. With the SDLv2 adapted thanks to the forum, it offers a very good view even in a row of current alphas - of which I tried many, mainly thanks to fellow birders...
This luckily kept my urge to upgrade spotters in check, together with looking through and often star testing lots of astro scopes... cherries are too rare to find two in a lifetime...

Joachim

Craig,

Apart from the unnecessary expenditure (ATX etc.) I really think you should have no cause for regrets. If you have a decent example of the 773, it should not fall short of the Televid 77 optically and might well be better in some respects, e.g. transmission.
The 25-60x TE11WZ eyepiece shows negligible astigmatism across the range and is flat field on my Kowa 883. At 30x the AFoV is already 60°, which is similar to some fixed focal length eyepieces.
My 883 was intended to replace my Swarovski ATM65 HD with 30x W, but I'm nevertheless glad I retained the smaller scope, which gets more use due to its lighter weight. Thirty times is adequate for most applications and the helical focusser functions well at this magnification but gets very fiddly at higher magnifications when using astronomical eyepieces due to the reduction in depth of field.

John

Craig,

Apart from the unnecessary expenditure (ATX etc.) I really think you should have no cause for regrets. If you have a decent example of the 773, it should not fall short of the Televid 77 optically and might well be better in some respects, e.g. transmission.
The 25-60x TE11WZ eyepiece shows negligible astigmatism across the range and is flat field on my Kowa 883. At 30x the AFoV is already 60°, which is similar to some fixed focal length eyepieces.
My 883 was intended to replace my Swarovski ATM65 HD with 30x W, but I'm nevertheless glad I retained the smaller scope, which gets more use due to its lighter weight. Thirty times is adequate for most applications and the helical focusser functions well at this magnification but gets very fiddly at higher magnifications when using astronomical eyepieces due to the reduction in depth of field.

John
The expense was, let’s say, regrettable!!! I think you are probably right though about the 773 performance compared with the Leica, and weight wise it’s a clear winner. But I do still look at the odd APO 77 that comes up for sale and think should I…….?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back