• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swarovski 30x eyepiece - broken or not? (1 Viewer)

markstenton

My eye piece for spectacle wearers seems to have entirely unscrewed . I have had it for nearly 20 years, and I don’t think this has happened before, but am not entirely sure. Quick question is this normal or not!? It easily slides back in but there is no way of securing it.

75F2A334-D3E3-4427-98FE-05662BCF5B9F.jpeg

Are you sure it wont screw back in ?

Years ago mine unscrewed itself and fell off while I was carrying the scope. I couldn't find it and Swarovski replaced it FOC.

I think the problem with screwing your eyecup back in is that the inner sleeve of the eyecup (shown fully extended in the photo below) is screwed all the way up into the outer sleeve of yours. Rotate your inner sleeve anti-clockwise until it reaches full extension like my photo. Place the eyecup on the eyepiece and twist clockwise. It may take a number of twists before the eyecup catches and slides down into eyepiece.

The worst case would be if the inner sleeve its set screws are missing. Then you'll need a new eyecup.

Attachments

• IMG_4350.JPG
    IMG_4350.JPG
    218 KB · Views: 28
I think the problem with screwing your eyecup back in is that the inner sleeve of the eyecup (shown fully extended in the photo below) is screwed all the way up into the outer sleeve of yours. Rotate your inner sleeve anti-clockwise until it reaches full extension like my photo. Place the eyecup on the eyepiece and twist clockwise. It may take a number of twists before the eyecup catches and slides down into eyepiece.

The worst case would be if the inner sleeve its set screws are missing. Then you'll need a new eyecup.
I am wondering if the opposite may have occurred - on the piece that has come loose there are two holes opposite each other on the metal cylinder. If I look down in the sides of the lens I can see two corresponding pointed “rivets” that should sit in the holes. (The rivets are visible in your picture). No idea how the two parts have become separated though. A trip to my local Swarovski shop I think is the next step

Those are the set screws that that screw through the outer eyecup sleeve into the angled slots in the inner sleeve. If you can fish those out of the eyepiece housing and retrieve the inner sleeve from either the outer eyecup sleeve or the eyepiece housing it should be just a matter of screwing things back together with a tiny Philips screwdriver.

Those are the set screws that that screw through the outer eyecup sleeve into the angled slots in the inner sleeve. If you can fish those out of the eyepiece housing and retrieve the inner sleeve from either the outer eyecup sleeve or the eyepiece housing it should be just a matter of screwing things back together with a tiny Philips screwdriver.
Thanks all. The set screws are visible around an inch down inside the housing, presumably with the inner sleeve. I’ll see if it’s possible to try and lassoo with some thread, but I’m not optimistic. Thanks for all the replies- at least I have established clearly my eyepiece is not as it should be!

Thanks all. The set screws are visible around an inch down inside the housing, presumably with the inner sleeve. I’ll see if it’s possible to try and lassoo with some thread, but I’m not optimistic. Thanks for all the replies- at least I have established clearly my eyepiece is not as it should be!
If you can't fix it yourself rest-assured Swarovski has a great reputation on this forum for fixing things FOC.

Hi, I'm just coming to this as I've got exactly the same with an eyepiece I bought on eBay from a private seller (to upgrade my ST80 HD). The eyepiece is fabulous but has this same problem with the eyecup coming off. Did you have to send it away to be fixed in the end?

Hi, I'm just coming to this as I've got exactly the same with an eyepiece I bought on eBay from a private seller (to upgrade my ST80 HD). The eyepiece is fabulous but has this same problem with the eyecup coming off. Did you have to send it away to be fixed in the end?
Yes Sibelius54 I had to send back to Swarovski but the repair was (I am pretty sure) free

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back