• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tarka trail - Fremington quay (1 Viewer)

Binoscoper

Also a spotting scoper
I regularly cycle the stretch from Torrington to as far as Fremington Quay. Just out of curiosity how many bf members visit this area? On my last trip (mid feb) I saw quite a few people kitted out with binoculars and scopes.

On my last trip my sightings where sand pipers, Curl buntings, egrets ect...

Also would Braunton burrows be a worthwhile trip out?

You would be extremely unlikely to see Cirl Buntings anywhere in North Devon. I've been birding in North Devon for 35 years and never seen one.

I have always found Braunton Burrows to be disappointing for birds. Stick to flowers and butterflies in the summer!

I am fairly new to this whole birding thingy. I shall try to get pictures of things next time I'm out. Going by memory (especially mine!) Isn't the most reliable way.

2nd to last time a chap with an atx 85 told me he saw some herons on the sand banks mid way out. The last time I got chatting to someone with old opticron verano's 10x42 and he corrected me by saying egrets?! I couldn't tell that far out, they just looked tall and bendy necked to me:h?:

If you check islay marsh on your route there were 6 spoonbills there a few weeks back and think they are still present in th area, in next few weeks I would not be surprised to see an osprey stop over on chivenor side in its way back from Africa heading through the south west, plenty of little egrets that normally roost in the trees opposite the cottages where you head into fremington quay from main road and lots of waders in the river section heading along side of road into quay

Thanks AdamSi, that's very informative. Next time I head out I will certainly check out isley marsh.

Osprey sounds interesting. I like the estuary birds as they stay a lot more stationary than the little tree based critters!

Not sure if you are aware but lots to see at moment, spoonbills, glossy ibis, osprey back for past week on its route back to africa and plenty more

I'm an occasional visitor to Fremington Quay/Fremington Pill. The pill's good on foot or a bike if you don't mind the constant flow of cars. It has Glossy Ibis at the minute, and the egret roost at the top near the road has had several Cattle Egret a few nights this year. My main patches are all just west of there on the same side of the Taw, especially Isley Marsh/Yelland Power Station site as it's my morning dog walk spot. DevonBirds blog is best spot for daily (but not up to the minute!) news, including for Fremington.

RE: Braunton Burrows. As above it's not great, though Cuckoo seem to breed on there, probably parasitising Meadow Pipit. One in a thousand chance of seeing much evidence of that. Just nextdoor instead, you have all the wetland I call Braunton Marshes: Sherpa Marsh and Velator (waders, Spoonbill, ibis, Marsh Harrier), Braunton Great Field (chance of Crane, Hobby, thrushes dependent on season), River Caen (Curlew Sandpiper potential in early autumn), Horsey Island (better now than ever)... A long way from Torrington by bike but all great sites.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back