• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Terns, Zanzibar, Feb 2024 (1 Viewer)

frogstar

Saw a lot of different terns on Zanzibar at Jambiani beach in the south east of the island. I know the rear bird is a Greater Crested Tern but the middle and front birds I have no idea. I thought the middle was a Common Tern but apparently they're uncommon in Zanzibar.
Thanks in advance
Kevin

Attachments

• 7D2_2278.jpg
    7D2_2278.jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 42
  • 7D2_2279.jpg
    7D2_2279.jpg
    136.5 KB · Views: 42
Rear bird looks like lesser crested (orange, not yellow bill), middle bird looks like common tern, nearest looks like little tern (assume Saunder's isn't a possibility). For latter, note e.g. yellow on bill

Rear bird looks like lesser crested (orange, not yellow bill), middle bird looks like common tern, nearest looks like little tern (assume Saunder's isn't a possibility). For latter, note e.g. yellow on bill
Thanks, Saunder's is more likely as Little is Rare/Accidental. Checked Avibase and Common isn't uncommon, so think you're right thank you. As to the Crested, again you're right although I did photograph both greater and lesser.

Attachments

• 7D2_1921.jpg
    7D2_1921.jpg
    267.6 KB · Views: 5
  • 7D2_2680.jpg
    7D2_2680.jpg
    191.5 KB · Views: 5

Users who are viewing this thread

Back