• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Thailand - Koh Phangan, Nov 27 - Dec 3, 2016 (1 Viewer)

Florin Chirila

Species list:

White-bellied Fish-Eagle - Haliaeetus leucogaster
Barn Swallow - Hirundo rustica
Pacific Swallow - Hirundo tahitica
Common Myna - Acridotheres tristis
Eurasian Tree Sparrow - Passer montanus
Indian Roller - Coracias benghalensis
House Swift - Apus nipalensis
Eurasian Curlew - Numenius arquata
Striated Heron - Butorides striata
Spotted Dove - Spilopelia chinensis
Blue-tailed Bee-eater - Merops philippinus
Common Sandpiper - Actitis hypoleucos
Red-throated Sunbird - Anthreptes rhodolaemus
Sand Martin - Riparia riparia
Olive-backed Sunbird - Cinnyris jugularis
Red-breasted Flycatcher - Ficedula parva
Yellow-browed Warbler - Phylloscopus inornatus
White-throated Kingfisher - Halcyon smyrnensis
Germain's Swiftlet - Aerodramus germani
Hill Myna - Gracula religiosa
Crested Honey Buzzard - Pernis ptilorhynchus
Peregrine Falcon - Falco peregrinus
Scarlet-backed Flowerpecker - Dicaeum cruentatum
Large-billed Crow - Corvus macrorhynchos
Greater Racket-tailed Drongo - Dicrurus paradiseus
Eastern Cattle Egret - Bubulcus coromandus
Black-naped Oriole - Oriolus chinensis
Scaly-breasted Munia - Lonchura punctulata
Greater Coucal - Centropus sinensis
Little Ringed Plover - Charadrius dubius
Whimbrel - Numenius phaeopus
Little Egret - Egretta garzetta
Black-capped Kingfisher - Halcyon pileata
Black-naped Tern - Sterna sumatrana
Parasitic Jaeger - Stercorarius parasiticus
Common Tern - Sterna hirundo

Main locations for observations: Thong Sala area (port, town, Baan Manali Resort, some higher elevated outskirts).
Other locations visited: Phaeng Waterfall, Paradise Waterfall, Malibu Beach (Chaloklum), Maehaad Beach, Koh Samui ferry terminal, off-shore Koh Samui (ferry)

General notes, hints:

Koh Phangan is not a predilect birding area, but the diversity of the habitats is satisfactory (sea, seashore, urban areas, cultivations, forest up to 600 m elevation, secondary growth...). A couple of hours spent somewhere in an upper forest clearing or viewpoint can be quite rewarding.

If you stay in a resort on the beach, best time is 8 AM - 11 AM, particularly if the resort is cosy and quiet like Baan Manali, where I stayed. Very high trees (coconut trees and other coniferous and broadleaved) are frustrating for a start - you can hear millions of birds, but can see none :C - but in the end things get settled to your satisfaction. I know I could have done better than 40 species in a week, but on the other hand birdwatching was not our sole puropse to visit this island.

If you are an ID geek as I am, you may want to use sound recording to complement the photo workload. Sometimes a sound recording can help you make a final positive ID, when photo doesn't seem to be enough. A simple smartphone is all you need, just make sure to find quiet places.

Off-birding topic: Eat out in the food market in Thong Sala. Great food, democratic prices. Especially try out the huge diversity of fruit shakes, there are a couple of booths there which make miracles. For a sit-down experience, `Auntie's Restaurant` is an absolute must - the best Pad Thai ever, plus other marvels and an incredibly adorable host lady. If you want to stick to Western cuisine, find Bamboo Bistrot, also in Thong Sala.

If you ever plan to rent a scooter (usually designated by the term `bike`), beware of schemes ! Ask for a solid recommendation, otherwise you risk to be extorted of money to get your passport back or - if you choose to leave a deposit - to say goodbye to the $300 (preferable anyway to being blackmailed for your passport against amounts that can rise up to the sky). I was recommended Adam's Bike in Thong Sala by the Baan Manali manager and I didn't have bad surprises.

Happy birding in Koh Phangan !

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back