• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The CBR Checklist of Birds of China v7.0 (2019) (1 Viewer)

The CBR Checklist of Birds of China v7.0 (2019) is released:

http://www.birdreport.cn/article_/article.html?id=72

[xls file]

With thanks to Jian Mei for bringing this to our attention.

Huh. This checklist (at least the XLS), unlike earlier CBR checklists, does not separate out birds only recorded from PRC territorial claims (CBR 4.0 had separate appendices for South Tibet, Nansha Islands, and West Tian Shan, and CBR 7.0 not only doesn't have those but also includes Taiwan endemics.) So a lot less useful than it once was.

Huh. This checklist (at least the XLS), unlike earlier CBR checklists, does not separate out birds only recorded from PRC territorial claims (CBR 4.0 had separate appendices for South Tibet, Nansha Islands, and West Tian Shan, and CBR 7.0 not only doesn't have those but also includes Taiwan endemics.) So a lot less useful than it once was.

China has been under the spotlight recently with events in Hong Kong, was this perhaps deliberately political?

The appendices are there as separate sheets, but the Taiwan species are definitely included in the main list. Sure makes you wonder why...

The appendices are there as separate sheets, but the Taiwan species are definitely included in the main list. Sure makes you wonder why...

Thanks for pointing that out: and with that (and a Taiwanese list) I could at least get down to the following additions to the PRC list:

Asarcornis scutulata 白翅栖鸭 White-winged Duck
Gyps fulvus 兀鹫 Griffon Vulture
Pomatorhinus schisticeps 灰头钩嘴鹛 White-browed Scimitar Babbler
Fulvetta danisi 印支雀鹛 Indochinese Fulvetta
Ficedula ruficauda 栗尾姬鹟 Rusty-tailed Flycatcher
Carpodacus grandis 喜山红腰朱雀 Blyth's Rosefinch
Zonotrichia leucophrys 白冠带鹀 White-crowned Sparrow

... though I'm just guessing that none of the following Taiwanese records have occurred on the mainland:

Nycticorax caledonicus 棕夜鹭 Nankeen Night Heron
Ardeola speciosa 爪哇池鹭 Javan Pond Heron
Egretta picata 斑鹭 Pied Heron
Calidris himantopus 高跷鹬 Stilt Sandpiper
Anous minutus 玄燕鸥 Black Noddy
Chroicocephalus novaehollandiae 澳洲红嘴鸥 Silver Gull
Leucophaeus atricilla 笑鸥 Laughing Gull
Xema sabini 叉尾鸥 Sabine's Gull
Uria aalge 崖海鸦 Common Murre
Merops ornatus 彩虹蜂虎 Rainbow Bee-eater
Pericrocotus tegimae 琉球山椒鸟 Ryukyu Minivet
Phylloscopus ijimae 饭岛柳莺 Ijima's Leaf Warbler
Larvivora komadori 琉球歌鸲 Ryukyu Robin
Passerculus sandwichensis 稀树草鹀 Savannah Sparrow

China has been under the spotlight recently with events in Hong Kong, was this perhaps deliberately political?

I don't think it's just due to the recent events, I think it's generally the case that anything published in China is expected to treat all disputed regions as part of China, including Taiwan and all of the South China Sea.

... though I'm just guessing that none of the following Taiwanese records have occurred on the mainland:

Anous minutus 玄燕鸥 Black Noddy
Phylloscopus ijimae 饭岛柳莺 Ijima's Leaf Warbler

These two have occurred in Hong Kong.
I'm not sure about the rest of China, I have a feeling that there was a claim of Ijima's somewhere but I'm not sure if that's correct.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back