• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

This white-breasted nuthatch eats upside down a lot (2 Viewers)

syd2915

Steph Della
United States
This white-breasted nuthatch comes to my feeder and almost always eats upside down. I have no clue why he prefers to do that more often then right side up.

If the link doesn't work please let me know thank you

Last edited:
Hi again Syd. Sorry I can't view your video.

All nuthatches feed upside down (most of the time) it's quite normal for them and always approach feeders down a tree in the same way. About the only species I know of that do that, at least in the UK.

All nuthatches feed upside down (most of the time) it's quite normal for them and always approach feeders down a tree in the same way. About the only species I know of that do that, at least in the UKthats

All nuthatches feed upside down (most of the time) it's quite normal for them and always approach feeders down a tree in the same way. About the only species I know of that do that, at least in the UK.
That's really interesting I wonder why. You would think it'd be harder to eat upside down. I posted the link again below. Hopefully it works 🤞 if not and you would like to see it you can go to my profile and go to my website link and you will see it there. :)
White breasted nuthatch upside down

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back