• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Threads meta (1 Viewer)

moose1991

Alces alces
The launch of Threads was all over the news today.
Anyone on here joined it yet ?
I lasted less than a week on Twitter before I got fed up with it.
I hardly post on Facebook but I do use FB messenger to chat with old mates as well as overseas friends & rellies.

Will Twitter go the way of My Space now Threads has arrived ?

I don’t do Twitter so won’t do Threads. I understand quite a few Twitter users are trying it out.

You are not getting to get anything on Threads you are not getting on Twitter. Twitter grew to what it is organically over many years. Threads is not going to suddenly spurt into a Twitter replacement.

The killer thing that is stopping me from even considering Threads is that you can only see a curated feed. On Twitter you can see a chronological feed of all the accounts you follow. On Threads your feed is posts from people you follow with the order decided by how important the algorithm thinks they are interspersed with suggestions of things the algorithm thinks you might like. Not for me in that form.

You are not getting to get anything on Threads you are not getting on Twitter. Twitter grew to what it is organically over many years. Threads is not going to suddenly spurt into a Twitter replacement.

The killer thing that is stopping me from even considering Threads is that you can only see a curated feed. On Twitter you can see a chronological feed of all the accounts you follow. On Threads your feed is posts from people you follow with the order decided by how important the algorithm thinks they are interspersed with suggestions of things the algorithm thinks you might like. Not for me in that form.
Yes seeing a random timeline of stuff you aren’t interested in is really not for me, I opened an account and promptly closed the app after seeing that.

I use Twitter to follow information about stuff I have an interest in. Adverts are getting really annoying though, they aren’t even good adverts, usually some tacky invention being sold by a Chinese company, so I block them 😄 but there’s always more 😔 I think if they had say a £1 to £5 a year option to see no ads I’m sure I, and many others, would snap that up, and with 450 million monthly users that would be some extra income for them. Probably a better idea than the idea of paying for verification of recent times.

Last edited:
Yes seeing a random timeline of stuff you aren’t interested in is really not for me, I opened an account and promptly closed the app after seeing that.

I use Twitter to follow information about stuff I have an interest in. Adverts are getting really annoying though, they aren’t even good adverts, usually some tacky invention being sold by a Chinese company, so I block them 😄 but there’s always more 😔 I think if they had say a £1 to £5 a year option to see no ads I’m sure I, and many others, would snap that up, and with 450 million monthly users that would be some extra income for them. Probably a better idea than the idea of paying for verification of recent times.
Agree, it's like it's sister apps, Facebook and Instagram, loaded with content I'm just not interested in, and very difficult to filter out the inane stuff. Presumably due to the curated feed mentioned above.

Which is fine, I don't need to keep it, and if people like it that's up to them. BUT, it's trying to muscle in on, and integrate with the federated social media apps like mastodon, which I do find useful and full of relevant information.

So I expect a lot of lobbying within mastodon, to keep Threads away from the mastodon servers and content. Fortunately the federated environment is set up precisely with this in mind, and any non desirable servers can easily be blocked!

Hello,

Is not Threads forbidden in the EU because it does not follow the EU protocol on data harvesting?

As Apple's Steve Jobs said, "If its free the user is the product."

Stay safe,
ArthUr

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back