• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tips on seeing Australia's wildlife travelling the East Coast for 2mth (Cairns to Melbourne) (1 Viewer)

ryan11111

https://www.instagram.com/the_zoology_duo/
Hi all,

I am spending 2 months (mid July to mid September) travelling the East Coast of Australia from Cairns/Daintree to Melbourne and would appreciate some tips on the best locations to see some of the best birds and wildlife along the way.

Definitely would love to see what Australia has to offer in terms of birding, as well as some of the spectacular mammals such as echidna, platypus, wombats, kangaroos, etc.

I'd really appreciate your help!

Thanks in advance!

Ryan

Hi Ryan,

You will no doubt see hundreds of bird species during your trip. It’s one of the birdiest areas I’ve ever been. Just to start off, there are great resources available from the Australian wildlife agencies as well as citizen bird clubs. Here are a couple of links to whet your appetite:

BirdTrails | Bird Trails Tropical North Queensland

This site will show the huge number of birding spots towards the north end of your trip.

https://birdsqueensland.org.au/where-to-see-birds/bird-watching-places-in-south-east-queensland/

This covers the area around Brisbane (SE Qld). Being blessed with an avid birding community, there are tons of information sources available. For instance, I have a 68 page pdf file entitled Shorebirds, Gulls and Terns of SEQ written by Trevor Ford. It’s got local birding areas and great non-breeding ID info. If I can remember where I found it I’ll send a link.

As you pass into NSW you will be near the Binna Burra and O’Reilly lodges in the Border Ranges – The place to find Albert’s Lyerbird and many other higher altitude forest birds.

The trip down the NSW coast and then to Melbourne will be amazing. Starting in Brooms Head is the possibility of seeing Emu if you haven’t already. It’s an interesting group of extremely localized birds with much info published on-line.

If you have any target birds or can share a few more details about your trip I’m sure Birdforum has many members from the area who could offer tips. It’s been years since I lived there but our family get back annually, usually visiting between Brisbane and Sydney. I assume you’ll be driving but please let us know if this is to be a full time birding trip or if you’ll be sharing the time in other pursuits.

I spent a couple of weeks in Brisbane (Wellington Point) in September 2019, visiting a few of the places mentioned in Joe's second link.

You can read about my adventures there in the first part of my Down Under trip report in my link.

I lived in Cairns for 15 years and am intimately familiar with good birding and other wildlife spots in the area. I could bombard you with info, but I'll try and be concise for personal faves:

Cairns environs: even a suburban walk around the city will yield a lot of bird species. Rainbow Lorikeet, Sulphur-crested Cockatoo, Magpie Lark, Pied Imperial Pigeon (in summer), Peaceful Dove, Figbird, White-bellied Cuckoo Shrike, Mistletoebird, Olive-backed Sunbird, several species of Honeyeater, Varied Triller, White-bellied Woodswallow, Bush Stone Curlew, Masked Lapwing and Metallic Starling, are all common urban birds, but there are many more. In winter, look along the esplanade for Pelicans, Jabiru, Osprey, White-bellied Sea Eagle, Brahminy Kite and various Terns. The variety of waders is likely to be not great, mind, though there may be some of the local Plover species. the adjoining mangroves may yield Mangrove Robin, Mangrove Kingfisher and Bar-shouldered Dove, but expect to be bitten to death. Asian House Gecko, Mourning Gecko and various small Skinks can be encountered in the city.

Wet Tropics Endemic bird species: Fortunately you can see all of these in a relatively small area west of Cairns. You really do need to head for the hills to the Atherton Tablelands to maximise your opportunities. Within a single day, but better spread over a few days, you can see all of them at such places as The Crater Lakes, Hypipamee, environs of Yungaburra, Julatten and Mt Lewis (these latter two are further north on the edge of the Mt Carbine Tablelands. Sometimes random spots can yield major rarities. The Sides Road hosted a small flock of Blue-faced Parrotfinches for several weeks - this can be a very hard species to find in some years. Fruiting trees may yield 3 species of Bowerbirds and a variety of Fruit Doves. Platypus are common on the Tablelands, and you may chance across one in rainforest creeks. Lumholtz's Tree Kangaroo is common around Yungaburra during the day.

Centenary Lakes: Located on the block on which I lived for 11 years and close to the city centre. This is a great place to see many of the above plus various Herons, Cormorants, Kingfishers, Darters, And with diligence, stuff like Lovely Wren and Large-billed Gerygone. In winter it may host Fairy Gerygone, Barred Cuckoo Shrike and other altitudinal migrants. I recorded 8 of Australia's 10 species of Kingfisher on this city block in the years I lived there. This is also an excellent spot for Brush Turkey and Scrub Fowl - they are easy here. It is also good for spotting Lace Monitors, and perhaps Snakes. Wood Frogs used to call from the lakes until a zealous contractor cleared invasive weeds a few years back. I didn't hear them after that... Graceful Tree Frog, White-lipped Tree Frog, Spotted Marsh Frog and both species of Sedge Frog can be common some years and sometimes call in winter. Little Red Tree Frog often calls near the mangroves at night.

The track up Mt Whifield nearby may be good if you head up into the remoter parts, but is infested with noisy dayglo joggers further down. Good to do a full circuit just to experience it, really. You may encounter Agile Wallaby, Musky Rat Kangaroo and Red-legged Pademelon - even Echidna; perhaps also mixed flocks of Red-browed Firetails and Silvereyes, as well as Topknot Pigeon and Cicadabird. If you hang about the vicinity of Collins Avenue (where I used to live) after dark, you may see hunting Rufous Owl, Striped Possum and Bandicoots. You will certainly see Spectacled Flying Fox over the city in the evenings and hear their noisy banter after dark.

Vine scrub: Emerald Creek is good, but there are other patches of it here and there. Necessary if you want the very localised White-browed Robin, especially.

Tropical Savannah: The vicinity of Mareeba is a good area to explore. You could pick up Australian Bustard, Australian Pratincole, Red-tailed Black Cockatoo, Pale-headed Rosella, and various Roos just driving along. Granite Gorge Nature Park west of Mareeba is a good place to guarantee Squatter Pigeon, and often has a roosting Frogmouth or Owl which the park owners usually have staked out. They also have very tame, and very overweight, Mareeba Rock Wallabies in a colony there. The area around Mount Molloy is the best for Great Bowerbird, but like so many places here, just explore and you will see good birds.

Everyone goes to the Daintree it seems. Good if you want to see crocs - you can see them readily from a Daintree cruise - but missable if you are after other stuff. Cassowary House no longer exists now that Phil and Sue have retired. Phil posts on here sometimes as Sicklebill. Local birders that you encounter in Cairns can be very helpful, so pick their brains for latest info. That's how I was able to find the Parrotfinches and a nearby nest of Square-tailed Kite one year.

Michaelmas Cay: not sure how good this is in winter, but the island is heaving with Sooty Tern, Brown Booby and Brown Noddy during breeding season. A day trip would cover it, and you get to go to the Great Barrier Reef (or a rather knackered part of it) in the bargain.

Speaking of Cassowaries: as has been said up the page, these can be very gettable at Etty Bay, south of Cairns, but I have also seen them lots at Hypipamee.

There are many other locales in the region worth seeing, but those would be my picks!

Last edited:
Hi Ryan.

I can help yo out with NSW birding sites, especially around Sydney and Newcastle and inland to the Capertee valley and even further west to places like Round Hill. I can also help with pelagic info if needed.

Let me know if you have any targets or need info on specific sites.

Cheers.

Rob

Thank you so much for all of the info everybody! Lots and lots of good recommendations for me to dig into.

Really appreciate all of the help and can’t wait to stop off to see some of these birds over the next couple months 🙌

Hi all,

I’ll be heading to Cairns next week and then up to Daintree.

Will I be able to see any cool reptiles or insects around here at this time of year? I’m not entirely sure how easy they are to see during the Winter?

Best,

Ryan

Hi all,

I’ll be heading to Cairns next week and then up to Daintree.

Will I be able to see any cool reptiles or insects around here at this time of year? I’m not entirely sure how easy they are to see during the Winter?

Best,

Ryan
Winters are warm to hot in Cairns, so yes. There will be fewer on the Tablelands due to much cooler temperatures at altitude.

Hi Ryan

Here's a link to my thread for the greater Sydney area, which covers the period from May 2022 to the present, so the earlier posts especially should give you a sense of the birds likely to be around during your trip. The great majority of my birding is done using public transport so may be helpful if you don't have access to a car.

I also have trip reports here on BF from Cairns, Atherton Table lands and the Daintree, O'Reilly's , Brisbane and Melbourne, but these have less detail on access/ location.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

Cheers
Mike

Hi all,

I am spending 2 months (mid July to mid September) travelling the East Coast of Australia from Cairns/Daintree to Melbourne and would appreciate some tips on the best locations to see some of the best birds and wildlife along the way.

Definitely would love to see what Australia has to offer in terms of birding, as well as some of the spectacular mammals such as echidna, platypus, wombats, kangaroos, etc.

I'd really appreciate your help!

Thanks in advance!

Ryan
Hi, I did this whole trip 5 years ago and managed to see echidna (Royal NP south of Sydney), platypus (Eungella NP), kangaroo (well you’re not going to miss those) (but sadly not wombat or koala). You can check out my trip report at https://ebird.org/tripreport/32295 if you have any bird species in particular you’d like to spot.

Daniele, Canada

Hi, I did this whole trip 5 years ago and managed to see echidna (Royal NP south of Sydney), platypus (Eungella NP), kangaroo (well you’re not going to miss those) (but sadly not wombat or koala). You can check out my trip report at https://ebird.org/tripreport/32295 if you have any bird species in particular you’d like to spot.

Daniele, Canada
Hi Daniele, that’s amazing!

We just spent a week in Sydney with my girlfriends family and luckily managed to see wombats (and lots of Roos) at Bendeela Camping Grounds in Kangaroo Valley - definitely recommend!

We are planning on heading to both Eungella and Royal NP on the way back down. Did you go via a tour or anything for the platypus or just head out and find them yourself?

Best,

Ryan

Hi Daniele, that’s amazing!

We just spent a week in Sydney with my girlfriends family and luckily managed to see wombats (and lots of Roos) at Bendeela Camping Grounds in Kangaroo Valley - definitely recommend!

We are planning on heading to both Eungella and Royal NP on the way back down. Did you go via a tour or anything for the platypus or just head out and find them yourself?

Best,

Ryan
Yes, right at the broken river viewing decks they are quite reliable. Here’s a good guide with some tips. No tour needed. Finding the platypus of Eungella National Park | A Little Off Track

Users who are viewing this thread

Back