• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tragic Morning all chicks pulled from nest box (1 Viewer)

D.Rose

United States
Hello I live in North East PA and I am looking for any information as to what pulled chickadees from the nest box. We have a nest box on our front porch with honeysuckle wrapped around it. My daughter placed it there a few years ago when she was in elementary school and different birds have used it every spring and summer. It went up as a alternative to our letter box for two very determined Carolina Wrens. This year it is Chickadees and everything was going well until this morning. I found 3 dead chicks spread out across the front porch and a lot of the nesting material pulled out from the opening. Each chick had one large hole(sorry best description) on the head or rear end. The only evidence left behind is a large white downy feather about 6-8inches long. Please does anyone have any idea what may have killed the chicks? Should I cover the bird box hole for the rest of the season? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Welcome to Birdforum.

I'm sorry I have no idea what could have taken the chicks from the nest box. I wouldn't cover the entrance.

I just saw a film about Tree Swallows and nest boxes for them. To deter birds and other critters from taking the chicks out, the guy recommended attaching a round piece of wood over the hole, with a hole it in - same diameter.

i.e., create a bit of a tunnel in front of the hole entrace. That way the small birds can come and go, but nobody can stick a beak in there, or paw, or what have you. Seems like a good idea.

I just saw a film about Tree Swallows and nest boxes for them. To deter birds and other critters from taking the chicks out, the guy recommended attaching a round piece of wood over the hole, with a hole it in - same diameter.

i.e., create a bit of a tunnel in front of the hole entrace. That way the small birds can come and go, but nobody can stick a beak in there, or paw, or what have you. Seems like a good idea.
Thank you for the tip. We're wondering if it was a hawk or owl that destroyed the nest. At the same time it's odd because whatever did it didn't eat the chicks. We have watched the crows raid other nests but they eat what they take. I will elongate the entrance soon and hopefully it won't happen again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back