• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Two weeks Colombia - Andes, or north coast - January/early February 2024 (1 Viewer)

I'm (still) looking for someone to join me for 2 weeks on my month long trip to Colombia. I start January 8 with a tour in Bogota, then fly to Pereira to visit several lodges in the Andes until January 22, when I fly to the north coast to bird along the coast and Inland on the road to and past Minca. There are 3 easy-to-fit-in ~2 week options:
NOTE that base cost estimate I give for these options DO NOT INCLUDE your airfare to Colombia, NOR most of the meals, tips, personal stuff, and some minor shuttles/cabs I've not yet gotten quotes on. The base estimate I give DOES include lodges/hotels , most of the shuttles/buses/internal flights, guides for at least one day at most of the lodges. Most of the lodges/hotels include breakfasts, assuming we're around for them - and I've assumed you will get a similar room in the same lodge/hostel (no worries - no dorms!), and for ladies, there are some lodges/hostels I've booked with 2 beds, so can share:
1) Jan 7-22 this would be entirely in the Andes, with the base cost for accommodation, guides, transportation would come to $1600. This part includes several REALLY highly recommended birding lodges. includes stays in Bogota (tour of La Florida wetland, Laguna el Tabacal and Jardin Encantado), El Cedral, Montezuma Rainforest Lodge (we would have to share a room here as it's full up, so sorry, guys this is a girls only option), Rio Blanco lodge, Jardin.
2) Jan 19-Feb 4. This option starts at my last Andes venue - the pretty little town of Jardin - where cock-of-the-rocks are a dime a dozen, - and then continues to the north coast for birding at the laguna los flamencos, and in the mountains nearby, and then finish with a birding tour to the Chingaza paramo, and the Observio des Colibris out of Bogota the day before I fly home. Base cost would be about $1660. includes stays in Jardin, Tayrona park, Camarones (Flamingo lagoon), Minca, El Dorado, Bogota.
3) If you start the trip on the north coast (see above minus Jardin) and finish with the Chingaza and hummingbird tour outside of Bogota, base cost $1410, includes stays in Tayrona park, Camarones (Flamingo lagoon), Minca, El Dorado, Bogota. Jan 22 - Feb 4.

If you want to check on flight prices your flights to Colombia would need to be:
for options 1) fly into Bogota on time for a 5AM pick up by our tour guide for the day on Jan 8 - I'd recommend arriving jan 7., then fly back home from Medellin leaving Jan 22
for option 2) fly into Medellin with arrive on Jan 19 in time to bus to Jardin about 3 hours away, then fly home from Bogota leaving Feb 4
for option 3) fly into Santa Marta or Barranquilla (via either Bogota or Medellin), arriving Jan 22, the fly home from Bogota leaving Feb 4

This would be a great 2 week add in with a birding companion if you're already planning a solo birding trip in Colombia.
Let me know if you're interested!
Christine

Users who are viewing this thread

Back