• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

UAE - late January (1 Viewer)

foresttwitcher

Virtually unknown member
United Kingdom
Is the last week in January a good time of year to visit UAE? I've not been to the Middle East before and may have the chance to be in Abu Dhabi in the last week in January.

I've checked out the eBird hot spots but are there any recommendations for good sites? I would hope to hire a car.

Just general good birding really Phil. The nearest I've been to the area is Lesvos so anything that is regional or I would likely not have seen in Europe would be a bonus.

I'd be willing to travel around and I assume the distances are not great so information on Dubai or elsewhere in the Emirates would be welcome.

If you are prepared to travel within the region and have a few days, it might be worth considering going to Oman or even Saudi Arabia.

Thanks DMW, I really meant travel by car around the Emirates. Oman is on the wish list for the future - but you never know, I may reconsider.

I didn’t do a report, but did do a complete list, I need to locate it. One thing I recall; it is impossible to get any useful paper maps in the UAE, probably not as crucial nowadays with smartphones.

Thanks Jos, that has certainly whetted the appetite.

Thanks WP - it would be good to see but no worries if you can't find the list.

Is the last week in January a good time of year to visit UAE? I've not been to the Middle East before and may have the chance to be in Abu Dhabi in the last week in January.

I've checked out the eBird hot spots but are there any recommendations for good sites? I would hope to hire a car.
I visited Abu Dhabi, Al Ain middle of Oktober an Dubai begin of April.

So I can only advice this homepage

Kee species

I have done several family holidays in Dubai in January; sadly a number of the sites visited then are now degraded (eg Al Safa Park) or lost totally (eg the Pivot Fields).
Would still recommend Mushrif Park (Oriental Honey Buzzard, Babblers), Qarn Nazwa (Wheatears, Brown-necked Raven, Pharoah Eagle Owl), Ras Al Khor (waders, raptors) and the Al Qudra area (warblers, sandgrouse etc).

I have done several family holidays in Dubai in January; sadly a number of the sites visited then are now degraded (eg Al Safa Park) or lost totally (eg the Pivot Fields).
Would still recommend Mushrif Park (Oriental Honey Buzzard, Babblers), Qarn Nazwa (Wheatears, Brown-necked Raven, Pharoah Eagle Owl), Ras Al Khor (waders, raptors) and the Al Qudra area (warblers, sandgrouse etc).
That's sad to hear that the pivot fields are gone, they were really good. Access denied or built on?

That's sad to hear that the pivot fields are gone, they were really good. Access denied or built on?
Access closed then cultivation abandoned; appears to have returned to desert (you can still see the circular sweep of the sprinkler). As you say was a cracking site - look one way for Red-tailed Shrike, another for Pallid Harrier and a third for a rare plover.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221103_090223_Maps.jpg
    Screenshot_20221103_090223_Maps.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 9

Thanks Phil, much appreciated. Yes, shame about the Pivot Fields but it looks like access to Khor Kalba is again possible.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back