• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

UK Dragonfly Listing (1 Viewer)

PaulClack

Morning all,

In a rather pointless OCD listing way, I was wondering if anyone in the UK has yet seen 50 species of Odonata in the UK? Farnboro John must be close as I recall he was on 49 a while back?

I'm languishing on 41, and know the ones I could have seen but haven't:

Willow Emerald and Southern Migrant Hawker, both available now as colonists;

Southern Emerald Damselfly, sporadic colonist

Vagrant Emperor, occasional occurrences esp the Devon one that lingered

Dainty Damselfly, should have seen the 2011 colony

Yellow winged and Vagrant Darters, the 1995 influx

Green Darner on Scilly

And dipped the Scarlet Darter at Longham Lakes this year by a few hours...

So it seems possible and someone may be there already?

P

Morning all,

In a rather pointless OCD listing way, I was wondering if anyone in the UK has yet seen 50 species of Odonata in the UK? Farnboro John must be close as I recall he was on 49 a while back?

I'm languishing on 41, and know the ones I could have seen but haven't:

Willow Emerald and Southern Migrant Hawker, both available now as colonists;

Southern Emerald Damselfly, sporadic colonist

Vagrant Emperor, occasional occurrences esp the Devon one that lingered

Dainty Damselfly, should have seen the 2011 colony

Yellow winged and Vagrant Darters, the 1995 influx

Green Darner on Scilly

And dipped the Scarlet Darter at Longham Lakes this year by a few hours...

So it seems possible and someone may be there already?

P

Unfortunately I missed the Scarlet Darter by a couple of hours, though the Lesser Emperors were nice.

I think a lot of people unblocked Vagrant Emperor at Dungeness, where multiple individuals were available for a few weeks IIRC.

I'll have a quick count up and report back but I think I'm still stuck in the forties.

John

I am now on 47 - List here

The most obvious omission is Coenagrion lunulatum which I have just not got around to (I keep B&I list, but it is in NI so can be added to UK list). Also unable to get to this years Crocothemis.

Currently 48 - I must have been including Highland Darter and taken it off. I haven't done Irish Damselfly yet. I'm finding it hard to generate the enthusiasm for a twitch for that, I'm afraid, but perhaps I'd better before it becomes No. 50!

Even more OCD listing-wise, I've got pictures of 47 of the 48, Vagrant Darter being the missing one: 7 of the photographed ones are long enough ago that I haven't got digital shots.

John

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back