• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ultra close focus binoculars from Pentax (1 Viewer)

Elkhornsun

United States
The Pentax 8.5 x 21 Papilo II binoculars focus to a distance of 0.5 meters which is magnitudes closer than any other binocular at any price. There is also a 6x21 version and it has a close focus distance of 0.5 meter as well and weighs only 10.2 ounces. For viewing birds, insects, amphibians, and similar small subjects the Papilo provide capabilities beyond those of any other binocular at any price. The Papilio II 8.5 x sell for only $149 and the 6x21 for only $129, so not a status binocular for birders.

With due respect Elkhorsun this binocular and its attributes have been well known for many, many years as a great little bino for flying and static insects.

The Pentax Papilio is in my opinion one of the best bargains in the binocular world . No other binocular can do the macro view quite like the Papilio can .
I like that you can attach a tripod adapter to it to maximize steadiness when taking advantage of it's macro view .

Attachments

• DSC00461 (Large).JPG
    DSC00461 (Large).JPG
    681.7 KB · Views: 9
The Pentax Papilio is in my opinion one of the best bargains in the binocular world . No other binocular can do the macro view quite like the Papilio can .
I like that you can attach a tripod adapter to it to maximize steadiness when taking advantage of it's macro view .
It is also the only binocular that I would attach the very crappy Celestron Skymaster 15x70 tripod adapter to . I had the Skymaster back in the beginning of my binocular journey and quickly moved on from it . The Papilio is light enough to not cause the side to side movement that the larger bins cause when using the plastic Celestron adapter .

The Pentax 8.5 x 21 Papilio II binoculars focus to a distance of 0.5 meters which is magnitudes closer than any other binocular at any price. There is also a 6x21 version and it has a close focus distance of 0.5 meter as well and weighs only 10.2 ounces. For viewing birds, insects, amphibians, and similar small subjects the Papilio provide capabilities beyond those of any other binocular at any price.
These are all reasons why so many of us have bought them.

Papilio is Latin for butterfly, for which they are so appropriate for watching. It was the first binocular I ever bought for someone else, mainly so he could use it for viewing the bird feeder from the chair he spent the rest of his life in. Great little binocular

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back