• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Unexpected snipe in cloud forest - central Peru (2 Viewers)

Thibaud

Hi everybody,

A friend of mine photographed this snipe at about 2000 meters elevation on the way to San Alberto in the Yanachaga Chemillén NP, in Pasco, central Peru.
If I'm not mistaken, it's either Puna or Pantanal Snipe, which are the two smallish, white-bellied snipes in most of Peru, but neither is typically found in cloud forest!
Puna Snipe occurs in Santa Barbara, a different sector of the national park, maybe 30 km away in a straight line on the other side of the valley, and 1500 meters higher up, right above the tree line. There is also a narrow fringe of puna habitat directly above the San Alberto sector (less than 10 km in a straight line) where the Yanachaga Cordillera tops out at about 3800 masl, where the Puna Snipe might occur as well.
Meanwhile, Pantanal Snipe hasn't been recorded from the lowlands of central Peru, but that's most likely due to the lack of observers, and birds of the world mentions that it has occasionally been recorded as high as 2600 masl. The closest spot where I would expect it is El Oconal lake, about 20 km to the south. Even though it sits at 1500 masl, it notoriously holds a number of species typical of Amazonian lowlands (Snail Kite, Least Bittern, Brazilian Teal, plus vagrant Black Skimmer, Roseate Spoonbill, etc).
Obviously these two snipes normally segregate by habitat and some 3000 meters elevational difference, so I haven't been able to find any info on actual features to tell them apart.
I have spent a while looking at photos on Macaulay, and I'm thinking Puna Snipe, but I would love some input from the experts!
If it's any help, I'm including my own photos of both species, Puna Snipe, taken in Santa Barbara, and Pantanal Snipe, photographed near Puerto Maldonado.

Thanks in advance!

Thibaud

Attachments

• Mystery Snipe 1.jpeg
    Mystery Snipe 1.jpeg
    460.2 KB · Views: 46
  • Mystery Snipe 2.jpeg
    Mystery Snipe 2.jpeg
    423.2 KB · Views: 47
  • Mystery Snipe 3.jpeg
    Mystery Snipe 3.jpeg
    436 KB · Views: 36
  • Mystery Snipe 4.jpeg
    Mystery Snipe 4.jpeg
    485.5 KB · Views: 34
  • Mystery Snipe 5.jpeg
    Mystery Snipe 5.jpeg
    457.4 KB · Views: 36
  • Pantanal Snipe 1.jpg
    Pantanal Snipe 1.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 35
  • Pantanal Snipe 2.jpg
    Pantanal Snipe 2.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 31
  • Pantanal Snipe 3.jpg
    Pantanal Snipe 3.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 27
  • Puna Snipe 1.jpg
    Puna Snipe 1.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 30
  • Puna Snipe 2.jpg
    Puna Snipe 2.jpg
    240 KB · Views: 29
  • Puna Snipe 3.jpg
    Puna Snipe 3.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 45
Well they were/are one species. Leg colour is probably the clearest. Yellow in both, but dull yellow or greyish in Puna (as the mystery bird). Hayman says extensive rufous in tail of puna and whitish outermost webs to outermost primaries and alula. However, he also says puna is the only snipe with yellow legs whilst illustrating the same for pantanal !

In contrast, schulenberg illustrates the legs the other way around, with Puna bright yellow and pantanal greyish legged. But if we believe your photos and hayman's illustrations pantanal is brightest...

Thanks for weighing in! I asked a few Peruvian friends and none would come out definitively in favor of one or the other. Wonder if the two species will end up being lumped again at some point...

Thanks for weighing in! I asked a few Peruvian friends and none would come out definitively in favor of one or the other. Wonder if the two species will end up being lumped again at some point...
Indeed. Although hayman claims Puna is field identifiable. Other characters include smaller size and shorter legs, neither of which help here. I have no idea what molecular work's been done

Users who are viewing this thread

Back