• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Unidentified fruit bat (Cynopterus sp.) from Sukau, Sabah, Borneo (1 Viewer)

AntonBE

Hi all!

I recently went on a trip to Sabah, Malaysia, for wildlife watching (primarily birds but also mammals). On one walk in Sukau, along the Kinabatangan river, we bumped into a fruit bat roosting in a tree. After a bit of investigating which species this could be, I've landed on a Cynopterus, but am not quite sure which one: I'm pretty confident it is either C. horsfieldii or C. brachyotis; Facial structure with the tall forehead and quite slender nose, along with ear shape, makes me think this is interesting for horsfieldii, but some pictures of more slender-faced brachyotis really trip me up.

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks in advance,
Anton.

Attachments

• _A4A0182.jpg
    _A4A0182.jpg
    8.8 MB · Views: 10
  • _A4A0182zoom.jpg
    _A4A0182zoom.jpg
    987.5 KB · Views: 10

Users who are viewing this thread

Back