• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Unidentified warbler (1 Viewer)

anthonyvear

14th March 2024. Weald of Kent UK. Photos by a neighbour. I'm puzzled by the bold yellow bar on shoulders and the lack of any face markings combined with general bright yellow colouration. Should be a chiffchaff at this time of year, or a willow warbler. Or something else ?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240317_095100_WhatsApp.jpg
    Screenshot_20240317_095100_WhatsApp.jpg
    845.9 KB · Views: 113
  • Screenshot_20240317_095126_WhatsApp.jpg
    Screenshot_20240317_095126_WhatsApp.jpg
    846.3 KB · Views: 114
Hello,

I agree with you its either a Chiffchaff or a Willow Warbler (or a rare Iberian Chiffchaff, excluded by location?).
Head pattern is regular somewhat clouded/difficult to judge in dead birds, by ruffled/misplaced feathers? and more? So I would nearly skip this.
Presence and appearant boldness of the yellow patch at the wingbend is exagerrated by the unnatural open wing position of the dead bird imo.

And yes, date is much better for a Chiffchaff, as seems very short pp.

If the corpse of the poor bird is still available, mabe soneone can check it for an vagrant Iberian Chiffchaff?

Thank you all for your careful consideration. Sadly the bird is no longer available for further study. Iberian chiffchaff did briefly cross my mind but common things are common and a chiffchaff ticks all the right boxes and dead birds have a habit of looking very different in the hand to ones flitting about in the environment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back