• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Unusual raptor (1 Viewer)

condor1992

Spain
I've been looking through my photos to do a woodpecker themed post (because of the ivory-billed woodpecker news), but then noticed 3 photos of a strange raptor I was always curious about. I always thought it a steppe buzzard, but was confused by the very, very, very feathered legs (resembling Aquila eagle 'trousers', the long neck, large size, and eagle-like silhouette. Is that a lesser spotted eagle on the photos? It looks way too 'eagle-like'. Comes from an area where both are known to occurDSC04449.JPGDSC04448.JPGDSC04447.JPG

Wait you want to do a ivory woodpecker themed post while living in Eurasia? Also is this in Spain? Where is this because I didn’t think Spain had any lesser spotted eagle?

Edit- where is this taken?

Last edited:
Buzzards and Goshawks are pretty much the only raptors that regularly brave Russian winters, at least in St Petersburg.

(Old) Svensson maps rough-leg wintering north to about Moscow, and common/steppe buzzard not wintering in Russia at all. I'm sure there are far better sources - but . . . :unsure:

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back