• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Various warblers / Armenia (1 Viewer)

Jose605

Congo-Brazzaville
Please correct me if I'm wrong:

# 1&2 Lesser Whitethroat
# 3 Eastern Orphean
# 4 River
# 5 Sedge

Today at Lake Sevan.

Thank you!

Jose

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    3.3 MB · Views: 77
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    4.9 MB · Views: 73
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    3.9 MB · Views: 80
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    5.1 MB · Views: 85
  • 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    3.7 MB · Views: 82
Hello Jose,
agree with Lesser WT for the first
2 is a Common Whitethroat imo by pale yellow-brown hues and strong yellow-flesh legs
pass on 3, although Western OW I saw had a stronger bill, although your birds bill is on the strong side for a Lesser WT. And such pale eyes are rare in Lesser WT (yes, within variation)
4 looks like a Reed/Marsh Warbler to me. Do you have more pictures?
5 is a 1 cy Aquatic Warbler, nice and congratulations! Please note:
  • lack of spots on breast (sometimes forming a spotted breast-band) present in many 1 cy Sedge Warblers
  • really yellowish-cream hues (not yuffish with a yellow tinge as in similar Sedge W)
  • really contrasting blackish crown with broad pale median crown stripe
  • darkish lores is within variation, I know from literature

Hello Jose,
agree with Lesser WT for the first
2 is a Common Whitethroat imo by pale yellow-brown hues and strong yellow-flesh legs
pass on 3, although Western OW I saw had a stronger bill, although your birds bill is on the strong side for a Lesser WT. And such pale eyes are rare in Lesser WT (yes, within variation)
4 looks like a Reed/Marsh Warbler to me. Do you have more pictures?
5 is a 1 cy Aquatic Warbler, nice and congratulations! Please note:
  • lack of spots on breast (sometimes forming a spotted breast-band) present in many 1 cy Sedge Warblers
  • really yellowish-cream hues (not yuffish with a yellow tinge as in similar Sedge W)
  • really contrasting blackish crown with broad pale median crown stripe
  • darkish lores is within variation, I know from literature

Thank you very much, Alexander!! Great detailed feedback as usual. Much appreciated. I guess I only got right #1. Though I still feel #3 is Eastern Orphean. I don't have any other photos of number #4 unfortunately (he came and went very fast). Happy for #5, new to me! Thanks again for the precise info on it. (y)

After looking at the Aquatic Warbler again, this is a harder bird for me than I first thought. I realized that the ID-friendly pale colouration seems at least part of an slight overexposure. I hope for others to confirm or correct
Here is a 1 cy Aquatic Warbler for comparison (Trunvel, France, autumn 1998)
Thanks to the friendly staff there, who showed me many interesting birds!

I can't see any records of Aquatic Warbler for Armenia and it would be a long way out of range, especially at this time of year. I think it's more likely to be an over-exposed Sedge.

Agree with Common Whitethroat for no.2, and I think no.3 probably is Eastern Orphean on bill shape and face pattern.

Thanks for the additional info, Alexander.

Here's the other 3 photos I took of the bird. The species seems to be very rare in Armenia, but who knows.

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    3.7 MB · Views: 32
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    3.9 MB · Views: 31
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    3.9 MB · Views: 31
I can't see any records of Aquatic Warbler for Armenia and it would be a long way out of range, especially at this time of year. I think it's more likely to be an over-exposed Sedge.

Agree with Common Whitethroat for no.2, and I think no.3 probably is Eastern Orphean on bill shape and face pattern.

Thanks a lot for your feedback. I just posted 3 additional photos of the Aquatic/Sedge, in case they help.

Thank you for the new picturs!
I hope for others to jump in and help me with the first bird. The second pictures helps to confirm that this is indeed a Reed/Marsh Warbler imo.

I just realized that I created a new (?) word: what is the colour of the most yellowish Sedge Warbler, that are so yellowish, that pale cream buff doesnt this justice? Yuffish
Sorry, couldnt resist.

I would have put Common WT for #1...the wings look quite rufous and there is not much of an eye mask, plus the edges of the white throat are rather blurred.

1 Sylvia curruca
2 Sylvia communis
3 Sylvia curruca
4 Acrocephalus palustris?
5 Acrocephalus schoenobaenus
Wow, having looked at a few pictures now, I'm realizing how variable Sylvia Curruca is. I'll need to look more carefully at WT on my patch in future

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back