• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Wandering albatross (1 Viewer)

greykangaroo

Australia

A wandering albatross spotted off the WA coast was the oldest in recorded Australian history at 46 years of age​

6h ago

1681894863620.png
This wandering albatross was recently spotted off WA's south coast with a tag visible on its leg. (Supplied: Nic Duncan/Naturaliste Charters)
This wandering albatross was recently spotted off WA's south coast with a tag visible on its leg. (Supplied: Nic Duncan/Naturaliste Charters)© Provided by ABC News (AU)
The oldest wandering albatross in recorded Australian history has been recently spotted off Western Australia's south coast.
In January, photographer Nic Duncan snapped the bird while out in the Bremer Canyon, about two hours east of Albany.
She did not notice the band on the bird's leg until she got home from the photo shoot.
But the incredible endurance of the bird can now be revealed after the band's information was verified by the Australian Bird and Bat Banding Scheme (ABBBS).
The federal government group manages over 2 million records on bird and bat species, with its database stretching back to 1953.
Records show the bird — or BP9 — is approximately 46 years old, surpassing the previous longevity record of 44.
"It was very cool to discover that this bird was 46 years old," Ms Duncan said.

A life well lived​

BP9 is a male wandering albatross that was banded as a chick in September 1976 at the Crozet archipelago in the southern Indian Ocean between Madagascar and Antarctica.
ABBBS records show the bird has covered enormous distances in its lifetime — traveling about 5,600 kilometers each year from its breeding ground to areas such as the Bremer Canyon.
As well as wandering albatrosses, the canyon is home to whales, dolphins and birds.

Through its travels, BP9 is known to have raised 11 chicks with three different partners over approximately 30 years.
However, his breeding days could be behind him, as successful breeding is difficult in older males and his last breeding partner has not being been seen since 2014.

When I read about where the Albatross was tagged back in 1976, I decided to look further at where that is in relation to where I live in Perth Western Australia.
On this Google Earth projection one can see far to the south the French Illes Crozet about one third of the distance between Cape Town and Perth.

To me this seems to be the loneliest place on Earth where these birds live out their lives.

It makes human existence with all it's wars, politics and financial problems seem irrelevant.

How interesting it must be for those naturalists who work in those places. Makes my backyard pretty tame.

1681946456921.png

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back