• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Wanted! Info re: setting up a 24/7 live cam on feeders, etc. (1 Viewer)

sbarnhardt

Jack of a few trades Master of notta!
Opus Editor
United States
I'm looking to find reliable information detailing what is required to set up a 24/7 live camera on our feeders and other wildlife area. I know it can be done, but don't have a clue what I need to do it reliably. Anything you would be willing to pass along will be appreciated. Needs, sources, cost, etc.

Thanks

Barney

You will need a camera that can send pictures to the internet, these are usually called ip cameras. There are lots aimed mainly at the security market, a search for waterproof ip camera or outdoor ip camera will lead to hundreds of products. I can't recommend a particular model as they change so often and the technology improves.

You will need to get power to the camera. Having the power supply indoors and running the low voltage cable to the camera is safer but make sure you have cable designed for outdoor use. There are solar powered cameras available but these are designed to be used as a motion activated security cameras, if used 24/7 the battery won't last.

You will need to connect the camera to the internet. If the camera is in range of your WiFi then great, if not then you will need to run a cable out to the camera, again one aimed for outside use,. You will need to check that your proposed camera has a network socket, some are WiFi only. You can do network and power in one using something called power over ethernet (POE), but you will need to check the camera can use POE and that your home network can provide it, most ISP provided hubs will not, you can buy adapters that will provide POE. POE can be better if you have a particularly long or tricky cable run.

The live streaming itself can be done entirely by YouTube, there are many tools provided, or your particular camera may come with its own software.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back