• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Wasp ID - Holme Fen , Cambridgeshire, UK (1 Viewer)

DoghouseRiley

Hi All
A slow day and found a wasp that was also on the go slow, not it's usual busy self. I put this down to the temperature......

After examining the pictures..... has this wasp got a "long-face"? Is this a Dolichovespula saxonica (Saxon Wasp)?
I understand that they are spreading northwards and markings are very variable.

The face seems long, there is no anchor marking, simply a single dot.

Can someone ID this for me please?

Thanks, Gareth

Attachments

• BB1.jpg
    BB1.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 11
  • BB2.jpg
    BB2.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 9
  • BB3.jpg
    BB3.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 9
  • BB4.jpg
    BB4.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 9
Hi. It looks like a Vespula germanica. Markings on the abdominal region look OK, 1st/2nd tergum markings (black), on a Saxonica, have a more flat edge, the markings on pic 3, have a more pointed shape. The side thoratic markings look OK for germanica too......a nice triangular marking on the episternum, and a long yellow area on the side of the head, which, is lacking on the Saxonica. The black spot on the clypeus, looks OK too.

With the caveat that I know very little about wasps... I use the key from the BWARS site https://bwars.com/sites/default/files/diary_downloads/Vespine wasps key_v5.pdf
From couplet 2 on page 3 and looking at your image BB4.jpg the malar space seems to me to be much more like 1/4 the width of the mandible than 1/2 the width which takes me to Vespula and couplet 10. I'm pretty sure this is a male insect and that takes me to couplet 14 (and game over!)

Last edited:
With the caveat that I know very little about wasps... I use the key from the BWARS site https://bwars.com/sites/default/files/diary_downloads/Vespine wasps key_v5.pdf
From couplet 2 on page 3 and looking at your image BB4.jpg the malar space seems to me to be much more like 1/4 the width of the mandible than 1/2 the width which takes me to Vespula and couplet 10. I'm pretty sure this is a male insect and that takes me to couplet 14 (and game over!)
I am not great with keys but I'll take a look. Thanks for your help Paul.

Hi Paul

Ok. I have got to Vespula now. From the face alone it appears to be V. germanica, no?

Yours, Gareth

Users who are viewing this thread

Back